• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pure Latex vs. Spring mattress

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy
Rambo mentioned two important points, Tempur is incredibly warm. Also they're definitely not comfortable. But may be if you've been married for a long time that doesn't matter anymore
wink.gif

Basically, because it's completely a foam mattress it doesn't ventilate at all. That is why it feels so warm.

That's the big difference between foam and latex -- foam retains heat while latex does not. The latex mattresses supposedly are ventilated, too, and last a lot longer than an inner spring mattress. I'd like to try latex as the high-end spring mattresses are a lot more expensive and I can't stand the heat of foam mattresses, but objective information on them doesn't seem widely available.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Latex or foam mattresses are not for s e x in bed.
Want to try it , buy latex mattress pad and see if you like it .

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
That's the big difference between foam and latex -- foam retains heat while latex does not. The latex mattresses supposedly are ventilated, too, and last a lot longer than an inner spring mattress. I'd like to try latex as the high-end spring mattresses are a lot more expensive and I can't stand the heat of foam mattresses, but objective information on them doesn't seem widely available.

Latex is still a LOT warmer than a good pocket spring mattress.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy

What is the best material in your opinion for mattress pad regardless of cost?

I like very firm mattresses with replaceable pads that I can change every 5 years or so.

Essentio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Latex or foam mattresses are not for s e x in bed.
Want to try it , buy latex mattress pad and see if you like it .

Why not? Any adverse effects?

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would listen to Roy if I were you. He knows what he is talking about srsly.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy
So how much do I need to spend to get a good pocket spring mattress? I bought a cheap one a few years ago and my back is paying the price for that.

I really do dislike the retail mattress market because from what I've read, the same manufacturers label identical models differently for different retailers so that comparison shopping is difficult.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So how much do I need to spend to get a good pocket spring mattress? I bought a cheap one a few years ago and my back is paying the price for that. I really do dislike the retail mattress market because from what I've read, the same manufacturers label identical models differently for different retailers so that comparison shopping is difficult.
I recommend the W Hotel/Westin Hotel mattresses. W Hotels has a website that always runs huge sales. I got mine at 40% off. Best Mattress I've ever had. Here's a link to the deal thread (check the last page for updated codes): http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/625405/

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was actually just about to start a mattress thread when I saw this one. I am in the market to buy a new mattress and have no idea where to start.... I know it is very personal and I need to go 'try some out' but what brands should I be looking at, and which to stay away from....

it seems tempur are ones to stay away from.... it would be great to find some top mattress brands/models lists. I wonder if consumer reports has anything on mattresses'

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the best material in your opinion for mattress pad regardless of cost?

I like very firm mattresses with replaceable pads that I can change every 5 years or so.

That's really difficult for me to give an opinion on, because the US market is very different from the Dutch market obviously.

The Dutch spend an obscene amount of money on their beds, more than any country in the world. Most brands that you can buy in the Netherlands are Dutch, French or English. Most of which don't have any dealers in the states. So even if I give you a couple of brands that make good quality mattrasses you probably won't be able to buy them.

Most American brands aren't sold in the Netherlands except for the cheap ones such as Sealy and King Koil.

Personally I like a firmer type mattress as well, one of the best manufacturers is TrÃ
00a9.png
ca de Paris. But I doubt if you can find them stateside. http://www.trecadeparis.com/

They have a pocket spring interior, the summerside toplayers can be a mixture of linnen, silk and cotton and the winterside a silk/cashmere/wool mix.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So how much do I need to spend to get a good pocket spring mattress? I bought a cheap one a few years ago and my back is paying the price for that.

I really do dislike the retail mattress market because from what I've read, the same manufacturers label identical models differently for different retailers so that comparison shopping is difficult.

The thing is, it's not always about money. Although if you want a good quality mattress you're easily looking at a € 1.000,- + per single mattress.

At least as important is the base you're using for your mattress, it's all about the combination. Personally I prefer a boxspring because it supports the mattress very uniformly and evenly while allowing plenty of ventilation for the mattress.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy
That's really difficult for me to give an opinion on, because the US market is very different from the Dutch market obviously.

The Dutch spend an obscene amount of money on their beds, more than any country in the world. Most brands that you can buy in the Netherlands are Dutch, French or English. Most of which don't have any dealers in the states. So even if I give you a couple of brands that make good quality mattrasses you probably won't be able to buy them.

Most American brands aren't sold in the Netherlands except for the cheap ones such as Sealy and King Koil.

Personally I like a firmer type mattress as well, one of the best manufacturers is TrÃ
00a9.png
ca de Paris. But I doubt if you can find them stateside. http://www.trecadeparis.com/

They have a pocket spring interior, the summerside toplayers can be a mixture of linnen, silk and cotton and the winterside a silk/cashmere/wool mix.

Thank you.

What is your opinion of horse hair mattress pads , namely by that Swedish brand "Hestings"?

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

What is your opinion of horse hair mattress pads , namely by that Swedish brand "Hestings"?

Hästens makes pretty good beds and mattresses, they're not as good as say Vi-Spring. But Vi-Spring and Hästens use the exact same mattress pad. They get these from the same factory.

They're comfortable, but keep in mind that because the filling is very loose wool and horse hair that after a while they look a bit messy. That doesn't mean it's a bad product, but its a consequence of the loose filling.

StylenotFashion

Reaction score
I sleep on a DUX Bed and wouldn't trade it for anything! It's a combination of Latex and 4-5 thousand tempered stainless steel springs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads