1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Pure Blue Japan (Denim) - Official Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jay-D, Oct 28, 2008.

1. bldavis

bldavis Member

Told people Japanese denim maker were going to raise prices. It's protectionism, because of trump. The yen is getting some strength. Buying American is going to be the only choice. Better get them now.

2. cosmicstring

cosmicstring Member

I'm not sure that analysis applies here, though. This is a little more like the high-end appliance vendors (Wolf, etc.) for kitchens enforcing a uniform pricing across regions -- no seller is supposed to sell below a certain price, or they lose access to the brand. It seems anticompetitive, and so on, but it's something that's allowed by the current courts in the U.S. In this case, Blue In Green (NY) and Blue Owl (WA) both already charge, say, $310 for a pair of XX-012's. Okayama Denim in Japan has been selling this in the mid-$200 range. Even with shipping, this allows one of the sellers to undercut the others. It seems like PBJ didn't want to let that happen -- why should they let Okayama undercut the hard-working folks at Blue Owl, etc?

That said, I gave the heads-up because a lot of folks are abjectly motivated by price minimization. Some folks wait until they see a sale, or a window closing, and pounce. So, by all means, pounce.

(For what it's worth, in the past year the majority of my clothing purchases were American-made, but I did buy some things made in Japan... and I bought them generally from American vendors when possible. It cost me more in some cases, and that can be ok, too).

3. bldavis

bldavis Member

You're missing the point. Okayama sells or sold their product in the conversion of the USD daily, meaning the price fluctuates. It's protectionism because they know Okayama sells internationally and they know most of their customers are foreign. It's not about blue owl or blue in green because they do not sell to them on consignment, they pay X amount per pair plus shipping and tax. They mark up their prices anyway up to 100%. So a 200 dollar Jean over there is 3 to 400 over here. All of this didn't kick off until Trump got in and did what he did to Japan. Think about it why PBJ cares about what is happening over here when they got the money? They were happy because they were getting money from both ends. It's like the drug game brother. Now blue in green and blue owl are going to charge 400 dollars for non limited edition denim. PBJ just gave themselves the death knell.

4. cosmicstring

cosmicstring Member

Nah, I'm disagreeing with the point. There's an implicit assumption that providers of goods are cut-throat and only care about dollar maximization. The reality is that not everyone is an econ 101 textbook profit maximizer. PBJ, the Syoaiya folks, are niche goods makers who care about a lot of things. Makers of niche goods like this, with small networks of sellers to whom they supply, care about that whole network. The world of raw denim and high-end denimhead commerce is not huge. Reaching their consumer base and maintaining over the years the health of that network seems well-motivated.

Nor does this presage higher prices at BIG or BO automatically. Wouldn't that just maintain Okayama's price advantage if BIG and BO were now (again) more expensive for the same goods?

Lastly, I don't think this is a death knell at all for PBJ. They make some great goods. They make goods which are, for some of us, incomparable to others -- who else makes the purple face, and with that degree of slub no less? (Hell, maybe I'll go check how my fades are doing to see if they're photo-worthy yet).

5. trevorplease

trevorplease Well-Known Member

Anyone pick up that new relax tapered fit? How is it?