• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pure Blue Japan (Denim) - Official Thread

bldavis

Reaction score
Told people Japanese denim maker were going to raise prices. It's protectionism, because of trump. The yen is getting some strength. Buying American is going to be the only choice. Better get them now.

cosmicstring

Reaction score
I'm not sure that analysis applies here, though. This is a little more like the high-end appliance vendors (Wolf, etc.) for kitchens enforcing a uniform pricing across regions -- no seller is supposed to sell below a certain price, or they lose access to the brand. It seems anticompetitive, and so on, but it's something that's allowed by the current courts in the U.S. In this case, Blue In Green (NY) and Blue Owl (WA) both already charge, say, $310 for a pair of XX-012's. Okayama Denim in Japan has been selling this in the mid-$200 range. Even with shipping, this allows one of the sellers to undercut the others. It seems like PBJ didn't want to let that happen -- why should they let Okayama undercut the hard-working folks at Blue Owl, etc?

That said, I gave the heads-up because a lot of folks are abjectly motivated by price minimization. Some folks wait until they see a sale, or a window closing, and pounce. So, by all means, pounce.

(For what it's worth, in the past year the majority of my clothing purchases were American-made, but I did buy some things made in Japan... and I bought them generally from American vendors when possible. It cost me more in some cases, and that can be ok, too).

bldavis

Reaction score
You're missing the point. Okayama sells or sold their product in the conversion of the USD daily, meaning the price fluctuates. It's protectionism because they know Okayama sells internationally and they know most of their customers are foreign. It's not about blue owl or blue in green because they do not sell to them on consignment, they pay X amount per pair plus shipping and tax. They mark up their prices anyway up to 100%. So a 200 dollar Jean over there is 3 to 400 over here. All of this didn't kick off until Trump got in and did what he did to Japan. Think about it why PBJ cares about what is happening over here when they got the money? They were happy because they were getting money from both ends. It's like the drug game brother. Now blue in green and blue owl are going to charge 400 dollars for non limited edition denim. PBJ just gave themselves the death knell.

cosmicstring

Reaction score
You're missing the point. Okayama sells or sold their product in the conversion of the USD daily, meaning the price fluctuates. It's protectionism because they know Okayama sells internationally and they know most of their customers are foreign. It's not about blue owl or blue in green because they do not sell to them on consignment, they pay X amount per pair plus shipping and tax. They mark up their prices anyway up to 100%. So a 200 dollar Jean over there is 3 to 400 over here. All of this didn't kick off until Trump got in and did what he did to Japan. Think about it why PBJ cares about what is happening over here when they got the money? They were happy because they were getting money from both ends. It's like the drug game brother. Now blue in green and blue owl are going to charge 400 dollars for non limited edition denim. PBJ just gave themselves the death knell.
Nah, I'm disagreeing with the point. There's an implicit assumption that providers of goods are cut-throat and only care about dollar maximization. The reality is that not everyone is an econ 101 textbook profit maximizer. PBJ, the Syoaiya folks, are niche goods makers who care about a lot of things. Makers of niche goods like this, with small networks of sellers to whom they supply, care about that whole network. The world of raw denim and high-end denimhead commerce is not huge. Reaching their consumer base and maintaining over the years the health of that network seems well-motivated.

Nor does this presage higher prices at BIG or BO automatically. Wouldn't that just maintain Okayama's price advantage if BIG and BO were now (again) more expensive for the same goods?

Lastly, I don't think this is a death knell at all for PBJ. They make some great goods. They make goods which are, for some of us, incomparable to others -- who else makes the purple face, and with that degree of slub no less? (Hell, maybe I'll go check how my fades are doing to see if they're photo-worthy yet).

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Introducing Pure Blue Japan - Indigo-Dyed Everything
We're proud to announce that we've added Pure Blue Japan to our line-up of brands at Self Edge. This is a line which we have massive respect for and which has been making some of the most impressive jeans coming out of Japan for over two decades.

We're starting off the collection with four of their newest models available in a variety of weights, fits, and in indigo or black. We're excited to be working with a company with a reputation as solid as Pure Blue Japan's. In the coming months we'll be adding t-shirts, shirts, and sweaters into the mix and more jean models as they become available. If you're used to buying the best jeans from Japan and haven't tried a pair from this brand, we highly recommend you add a pair to your line-up of jeans to see why they've been so heavily respected in the jean making world.

Shop Pure Blue Japan Online

pbj_0013_01-680x1025.jpg

pbj_0013_06-1025x680.jpg

pbj_18oz_01-680x1025.jpg

pbj_18oz_05-1025x680.jpg

pbj_18oz_08-1025x680.jpg

pbj_0019_01-680x1025.jpg

pbj_0019_05-1025x681.jpg

pbj_0019_08-1025x680.jpg

pbj_019bb_01-680x1025.jpg

pbj_019bb_07-1025x680.jpg

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just sent my 6 month old PBJ denim to be tapered. They were much too full. New leg opening will be 7 inches. Is that okay?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics