1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pure Blue Japan (Denim) - Official Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jay-D, Oct 28, 2008.

1. thomasec

thomasec Senior member

So I just grabbed a pair of XX-005's at BIG, and I love everything about them except for the fact that they seem to flare a bit at the bottom (since they are a true straight leg, as opposed to a tapered fit). Has anyone had any experience tapering the bottom?

2. snuff_daddy

snuff_daddy Senior member

same reason im gonna get the BiG x PBJ XX-013 instead

3. Rolfi

Rolfi Senior member

i think BIG does hemming for their customers, just roll by their store and ask them if you could have em tapered isntead

or exchange for a cut that you would actually want (if that's still possible)

4. aoluffy

aoluffy Senior member

hey ive wore my PBJ-005s for 7 months now... washing instructions plzzz?
    fades have came throught but not thatttt great.

5. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

i think BIG does hemming for their customers, just roll by their store and ask them if you could have em tapered isntead or exchange for a cut that you would actually want (if that's still possible)
    BiG doesn't do alterations, just hems.

6. Rolfi

Rolfi Senior member

i see, my bad.

@aoluffy
    just wash em like a regular pair of jeans, just take them out before the spin cycle. you oculd also buy a special detergent for dark clothes if that's worth the extra money to you

7. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

Just started working on a pair of the Blue in Green branded XX-013s that are manufactured by PBJ. These are a size 34, which is my normal waist size, and they start out pretty loose. I wasn't sure how much they would shrink, so I erred on the side of caution starting out with them. I gave them a cold soak for about 3 hours, a very hot soak for about an hour and a half, and I machine-washed them on the delicate cycle, allowing full drying and checking the fit in between each step.

Here are pics of them pre-soak.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. commodorewheeler

Pics post-wash. I'm going to have to have my wife shoot future fit pics from further away, they are really distorted when it comes to proportions, LOL!

I plan on wearing these full time and hope to post updated pics as time goes by.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. JazzyA

JazzyA Member

Those look too big and pbjs stretch alot too.

10. commodorewheeler

Those look too big and pbjs stretch alot too.

I tend to like my jeans a little bit on the loose side, but then again, I've been losing some weight lately, so I think you're right. I'm hoping they shrank down a little bit more after the machine wash.

11. airblaster503

airblaster503 Senior member

12. Scooba

Scooba Senior member

yikes. you really should have sized down

13. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

Sell it in the marketplace and get a 32. God I'm a true 32 and my 005s fit my legs, you must have needles for legs.

14. commodorewheeler

Sell it in the marketplace and get a 32. God I'm a true 32 and my 005s fit my legs, you must have needles for legs.

Well, these did shrink down more in the washing machine and fit better now, I'll try to get some pics up when I get the chance. The XX-013s have a wider thigh than the 005s, so they'll always look a bit looser than those, but I do have pretty scrawny chicken legs. [​IMG]

15. thorough

thorough Active Member

So I just grabbed a pair of XX-005's at BIG, and I love everything about them except for the fact that they seem to flare a bit at the bottom (since they are a true straight leg, as opposed to a tapered fit). Has anyone had any experience tapering the bottom?
    i hemmed about 2 inches and then i tapered mine(size 31 i believe) to a 7.5 inch opening. i wish i had just got a tapered a little less. I still wear them all the time but just a little wider hem would look a little more classic. nobody has ever told me they look wierd or anything. they might stack a bit crazy if you arent really tall. basically just do a little at a time cause you cant go back once you have tapered. use someone you trust. if they are loose at all in the seat then it will look strange if you taper them. Ive ruined a couple cheaper pairs that had a roomy top block. i can take pics of mine if you want but it will be shitty cellphone pics cause i cant find my cams USB cable. mine are looking quite decent lately.

16. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

DO NOT size down on PBJs

KitAkira,

Is this true? My waist measures 33" with a tape and BIG recommended I get size 30 in either the xx-005 or the xx-013.

Live in California so I can't try on any PBJ's. These are other jeans and relative sizes i wear:

IH 634S - size 31
    APC New Standard - size 30
    RRL raw indigo slim fit - size 30

I'm looking for a good, slubby jean with a slim-straight cut that I can wear with big boots.

17. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

I have a true waist of 28" and my PBJs (XX-010, cut the same as the XX-005) are tagged 28, for the first 2 weeks of wear my hips had to do battle with them to stretch, maybe I have bitching hips but that was a bit much (though I could easily have gone with a 29, my jeans fit about as perfectly as I'd like them to be though I prefer them to be very slim). The hips are actually more important than the waist in my experience (though I wear mine at the waist rather than sagged)

If you plan on wearing them over boots, this may not be the cut for you, while they are indeed straight from the knee down (and therefore a literal slim-straight cut), they taper a ton in the thighs so the leg is still really slim. They fit perfectly over my PS Ricards but I doubt that they'd do well over some large Engineer boot (though they can be tucked). The hem/knee on mine is 7.125"

PS: I skated in my jeans a few days ago for the first time and fell and got these amazing stack fades.... too bad the jeans weren't stacked normally because they were over skates so they look completely out of place, oh well

18. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

Thanks for the info on your experience. I'm confused then as to why BIG suggested I size down three whole sizes from my true 33 to a tagged size 30. It doesn't square at all with your 28 waist fitting so well with your 28 tagged xx-010.

I need to find a way to try these on.

btw, the boots I was referring to are aldens, so not quite as clunky as the engineers.

Speaking of skating, I thrifted some roller skates last week and intend to skate outside soon. Just need to nail down my size so that I can do in some stiff new slubby jeans.[​IMG]

I have a true waist of 28" and my PBJs (XX-010, cut the same as the XX-005) are tagged 28, for the first 2 weeks of wear my hips had to do battle with them to stretch, maybe I have bitching hips but that was a bit much (though I could easily have gone with a 29, my jeans fit about as perfectly as I'd like them to be though I prefer them to be very slim). The hips are actually more important than the waist in my experience (though I wear mine at the waist rather than sagged)

If you plan on wearing them over boots, this may not be the cut for you, while they are indeed straight from the knee down (and therefore a literal slim-straight cut), they taper a ton in the thighs so the leg is still really slim. They fit perfectly over my PS Ricards but I doubt that they'd do well over some large Engineer boot (though they can be tucked). The hem/knee on mine is 7.125"

PS: I skated in my jeans a few days ago for the first time and fell and got these amazing stack fades.... too bad the jeans weren't stacked normally because they were over skates so they look completely out of place, oh well

19. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

Yeah, I don't normally skate in these jeans (that's what cheap 501STFs are for lol) but I didn't feel like going home and changing, once they break in I'm comfortable enough doing just about anything in them

20. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

Also, it may help to know that the waist of my jeans actually measure out (just did this) to 30" unaligned, but the hips would likely never allow for a true sz.30 to fit into them