• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pure Blue Japan AI-001

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
I got my xx005 today but I'm contemplating exchanging those in for the AI001.

I heard it the slub is more noticeable on the latter. For me I wanted pbj for the big slubs and the xx005 was just a bit tamer than what I thought it would be.
Also that white leaf stitch on back pocket looks like a piece of tape or paper stuck to my butt from afar.

Is the AI001 price difference of 285 dollars justified in the 18.5 oz denim and natural hand dyed indigo?

And if I do decide to go for the AI001,
Should I size up to 32 for a more relaxed or
Go down to a 30 for a tight/slim?
(They don't carry a 31 at big)

How are these meant to be worn that is what I am asking.

(I'm going to have to unload my prps and naked and famous all brand new to make room for the aI. I thin it would make more sense to have one premier than several run of mills).

Thanks for any experienced input.

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how about wear the denim you have

^___________-/

But i'd probably go 30.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're an animal.

I mean if you're willing to shell out the money definitely go with the AI's. I don't think its "justified" though just like spending over 25 dollars on jeans is "justified". We just choose to spoil ourselves.

VINSON

Reaction score
shoe: You're going to be sad when you see a really nice pair of jeans you want but you think to yourself - damn, I already have so many...

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
anyone who owns a pair or seen it/dealt with it to give any comments? thanks.

how about wear the denim you have

^___________-/But i'd probably go 30.

while i have the pbj still new with tag i rather not wear it to make sure i am certain of what i want before i start wearing them. you know 200+ dollars is not nothing to me, i want to make sure i get the one i want.

somets and eternals i have worn already and tags taken off.

btw,
i was expecting not much from the eternals (half off) but dam those jeans are sweet. the cut is really really good. i like the slight slubby texture of the eternals as well. workmanship can be improved though, seems like the top button can easily fall off in a few months just seems like it.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went true to size and they were fairly tight on the waist. I should sell you my 32 inchers, haha.

BTW, don't expect a lot of fading from these. If you're in it for just the feel of the denim you'll be happy.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
I went true to size and they were fairly tight on the waist. I should sell you my 32 inchers, haha.

BTW, don't expect a lot of fading from these. If you're in it for just the feel of the denim you'll be happy.

howd you like them as compared to the other models like the 005? more slubby? is the natural indigo the thing? nicer blue ?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score

PG2G . i was looking at the 32s.

how long have you been wearing yours and what condition . if youre not joking how much are you willing to let it go for ?
smile.gif

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll probably hold onto them. They are fairly old, I just haven't been wearing them much recently. I should throw them back in the rotation one day.

I don't have any experience with the 005, but I can't imagine any jean being much more slubby than these are. It's pretty crazy. You'll have people wanting to touch your pants.

The bright thick ass threads can be fairly distracting. You may also want to take a look at the Oni Shoai for something similar.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
I'll probably hold onto them. They are fairly old, I just haven't been wearing them much recently. I should throw them back in the rotation one day.

I don't have any experience with the 005, but I can't imagine any jean being much more slubby than these are. It's pretty crazy. You'll have people wanting to touch your pants.

The bright thick ass threads can be fairly distracting. You may also want to take a look at the Oni Shoai for something similar.

That's exactly the info I needed to hear.
Me get one now.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its because they get SuFu fits. If you get a normal fits it wont blow out nearly as fast...

but that's just my experience.

DBoon

Reaction score
^^ True.

On sufu they:

1) wear their jeans probably much tighter than you, shoe

and

2) wear that jean everyday for months, and probably do not have a job that restricts their wear 40 hours a week.

Blowouts should not be your concern at all...

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by keykoo
Its because they get SuFu fits. If you get a normal fits it wont blow out nearly as fast...

but that's just my experience.

Originally Posted by DBoon
^^ True.

On sufu they:

1) wear their jeans probably much tighter than you, shoe

and

2) wear that jean everyday for months, and probably do not have a job that restricts their wear 40 hours a week.

Blowouts should not be your concern at all...

haha, ok i get it thanks.

(although i wear my jeans pretty slim/tight sometimes too though)

so basically we are sf denimheads like sufu denimheads,

but we are denimheads W/ JOB

the etruscan

Reaction score
The Onis are a much different jean, the varying size of denim makes them look quite unusual, more so than the AI-001s. They're also much nicer looking in my opinion, the threads on the 001s are really quite bright. I fell deeply in love with the Onis when I saw them in person, didn't really think much of the AIs even when I tried them on in comparison.
Originally Posted by shoe
im reading on sufu that the problem with pbj is they blow out relatively quicker than other brands. i saw photo after photo of their xx005s and such being blown out in the crotch, pockets, and threadings coming loose. i guess they use cotton threading only. i would assume the same for the AI001?
Same with XX-007s, and all of those. Mine blew out fairly quickly, and I don't size down. AI 001s may not, on account of being thicker.
Originally Posted by keykoo
Its because they get SuFu fits. If you get a normal fits it wont blow out nearly as fast... but that's just my experience.
Maybe not as fast, but regular PBJ denim is not sturdy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads