Purchasing a used pair of shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by solzhenitsyn, Apr 28, 2005.

1. solzhenitsyn

solzhenitsyn Well-Known Member

Is it worth picking up dress shoes that are 1 or 2 years old that have some noticeable wear on the soles, but appear to be in good condition overall? It seems like you can get some very good deals.

Should I be concerned about the shoes already having 'molded' to the previous owners feet? Is it best to just stick to new/like new shoes?

2. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Some will buy used shoes; some will not. Fewer will buy used shoes than will buy used suits, for example, so used shoes usually sell for relatively little.

Shoes do mold to feet. Lightly worn shoes have less molding, well worn shoes have more. The older and more heavily worn the shoes, the less easily they will conform to your own feet.

So, in the end, speaking generally, is buying used shoes worth it? I say yes. Others will disagree.

3. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Senior member

I don't know.

Are you kind of poor?

I am.

Used shoes are good for me.

4. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

Some people are squeemish about other people's old shoes, some aren't. I'm on the femce about it. I've bought some before from a thrift store, but I don't really wear them as much as ones I broke in myself. Maybe I'm not into them as much, maybe my subconcious is skittish about it. Who knows?

Go with your gut on this one.

5. Duke_of_Windsor

Duke_of_Windsor Active Member

Hi,

I'm poor too and I bought a lot of Lobb, Crockett,Aubercy or Weston shoes used.

I'd just changed the sole and made a beautiful shining.

It worth it.

In Paris a lot of People in St Germain des PrÃ[​IMG]s asked me where they can buy so beautiful shoes.

Don't hesitate?...Buy used shoes if you are poor like me.

The Duke of Windsor
    Living in Place du Champs d'Entrainement in Neuilly France.

6. guitone

guitone Well-Known Member

I've sold Allen Edmonds and Aldens on ebay, I never will buy used shoes though, just a think I have about putting my feet in someone elses..athletes foot, sweat, etc....But that said, I have not had trouble selling used shoes, of course they never command what they are worth, so a good bargain for the buyer.

7. Patrick06790

Patrick06790 Senior member

Depends entirely on the Funk Factor.

After spying a pair of used shoes you think may be suitable, take your weekly disposable income and subtract the approximate cost of a new pair of similar shoes. If the number is zero or less, buy the used shoes unless they make you gag.

I picked up a pair of white/blue smooth leather saddle shoes (with the red sole) bearing the legend "Made expressly for L.L. Bean, Freeport, Maine" that looked to have been worn twice. Five bucks at the local Sally. No funk; no brainer.

But I passed on a well-made (to my eye) but anonymous captoe that seemed to fit well but had been owned by someone with radioactive feet. They smelled as if someone had filled them with Fritos corn chips and then left them in the rain (perhaps in MacArthur Park).

8. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I think it really only works if they're high-quality shoes and lightly worn. If they're heavily worn, they will have molded to the original owner's feet and be quite uncomfortable for anyone else. I have a great pair of Wildsmith bespoke suede brogues bought very used that are beautiful but uncomfortable to wear for any length of time. On the other hand, I got a great deal on a pair of Luccheses that had been only lightly worn.

dan

9. marc237

marc237 Senior member

I have picked up gravatis, A & E, Crockett & Jones all used and all at a fraction of retail. Would do it again. Requires a bit of common sense and, if squeamish, use of Lysol upon receipt, but otherwise, one of the hidden bargains of clothing.

10. marc37

marc37 Senior member

DEFINATELY...

Never wear used shoes... Besides from the moulding of the feet thingy; who wants wants another persons shoes full of sweat and all that. Used shoes are disgusting.

P.S: people sweat [on average] a cup of sweat a day in shoes. YUK.

11. YMark

YMark Well-Known Member

Unless it meant going barefoot, I'm not wearing used shoes. I'd rather wear some new $10 Walmart shoes than someone elses used shoes.

12. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

M. le Duc (Votre Grace):

If you live in Neuilly you can't be that poor...

13. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Can you please comment on how the Aubercy and the Weston age?

14. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

IMO, Westons crease more than, say, Crockett & Jones or Alden.

15. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Shoes can't be dry-cleaned.