• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purchases you regret?

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kentishman
Also, the classic Gucci 'horsebit' loafer. They were on a very narrow last and I stupidly purchased them online without trying them on. I think I managed a few, sore wears, but one of my worst ever investments. Then I should have eBayed them but gave them to the local charity shop instead.

Lucky you. If they had fit you might have felt obligated to wear them. This way you got out of it nicely.

Cheers

Mathew J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Funnily, for all the admonitions here that bargain hunting is a sure way to sorrow, I tend to regret the stuff for which I've paid the largest premiums. Maybe it's because I'm so certain it will be the perfect item and my expectations are too high. Or maybe I let impulse get the best of me.

When bargain merch doesn't work out, I can usually get my money back pretty easily. When I've paid top dollar for that "ideal" item that turns out to be not-so-ideal, it's a sunk cost.

agreed, My expectations are way higher for something I pay full or near full retail for

Firstladyofsong

Reaction score

Essentio

Reaction score
A couple of quality clothing items I bought online that resulted being off-size. Since they were ordered from overseas, I didn't bother to return them. However, can't say I completely regretted the purchase, as I gave them away to people that really appreciated them.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A pair of $300 light blue linen-mix trousers. They used to look great but two days after buying it a stupid drunk girl in a bar spilled her drink on my legs. Dry cleaners couldn't do anything about it
frown.gif
I wonder if it could be turned into shorts.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say about 1/3 to 1/2 of what I buy online are purchases that I eventually regret.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Corneliani slacks I bought online..Too large even if it was my actual size. Gave it to the old man.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amce
Lucky you. If they had fit you might have felt obligated to wear them. This way you got out of it nicely.

Cheers

Haha! With hindsight, you're entirely correct!
laugh.gif
This WAS a few years back, I should add!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
What did you not like about the jv usa suit? A few models are actually cut well, just not constructed well of course.
Construction/fabric are terrible but that didnt bother me. I was sold this suit prior to me having any real understanding of what fits me, so the shoulders are about 3/4" too big total, just enough to really annoy me out of wearing it. Its not worth it to spend $125 having the shoulders fixed, on some nicer jackets I would go that route as my tailor does a nice job with that. Besides I feel like a black suit is a bit extreme, you cant pair it with anything other then black/white or it looks terrible. So you're left with one combo, white shirt and mid-red tie. When i look in the closet for a suit, the Navy pinstripe Black Label RL wins every time. I do regret some of my more extreme color choices that were 'SF approved' instead of Real life approved. I dont mind the colors that are considered 'bold' by the average person, but the colors that are considered extreme garner a lot of attention.

A.K.A.

Reaction score
1988 Saab SPG. Worst car I ever owned and it tops my list of worst purchases. Paid full retail in 1988, too.

Clothing: MTM Samuelsohn flannel trousers. Bought two pair with forward pleats in 2003. By 2005 I felt like I was wearing MC Hammer pants. My whole esthetic changed over the course of 2 years. Damn you Trinny and Susannah!

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taken Aback
Two orphaned jackets I bought on clearance when more naieve and had believed were blazers or sportcoats (one was a cream pinstripe!). Gah, what an embarassment. They saw me coming a mile away.

I made those mistakes early on as well. My sartorial IQ is now only just above par, but early on, I had no idea that blue pin striped trousers were from an orphaned suit and couldn't be worn with anything else.

I jumped on a $260 pair of Cole Haan's that looked awesome in the pictures, but hated in real life. Wore them once for 15 minutes.

My biggest mistake I've made, I made knowing it was wrong; spending money on nice clothes that I liked knowing that they wouldn't fit after loosing weight. I've donated a full wardrobe to the Goodwill and SA that have hardly been worn because of this.

Lear

Reaction score
How many here have rushed out to buy a first > £1000 off-the-rack suit, to then realize (after much education) that it doesn't fit your oddly shaped body? I did that, just before discovering SF. The thought of bespoke had never crossed my mind. I simply went for the closest thing available in the shops. I'm putting it down to a costly learning experience, but am now beginning to understand the intricacies of fit. The bespoke suit is still an amalgamation of constantly changing thoughts and ideas. Just as I'm about to commit, another consideration comes into play. One thing's for sure though, off-the-rack will never work. If I get the shoulders and chest to fit, the rest of the jacket billows everywhere. I'm still beating myself up though
boxing[1].gif

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
So many people stories I hear about their bespoke suit purchases ending up being regrets. Even their 2nd attempts or a try with another tailor. Goes to show how much bespoke is overrated here and rtw is underrated.

The toughest part about bespoke/MTM is being able to accurately visualize how tiny swatch will look on you in an entire suit. I think it's much easier if you can look at a full-sized bolt of fabric.

Lear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
The toughest part about bespoke/MTM is being able to accurately visualize how tiny swatch will look on you in an entire suit. I think it's much easier if you can look at a full-sized bolt of fabric.
I agree. Imagine waiting months for your dream garment to be completed, only to discover that as the the curtains are pulled back... you hate it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads