• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purchased something from store overseas, received damaged - who's at fault?

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you lose better options, maybe ask for a partial refund so you don't have to pay to ship them back and can try having them repaired.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patch them up, as I believe this is really all you can do now. **** like this happens occassionaly and yes it sucks.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
They're not going to give you a refund either way because he mislabeled the value, so at most you'll get $65.

That's not true. They might be willing to take a loss to make the customer happy, especially since it's their own fault for saying the value was only $65. Also take into account they almost definitely get the jeans much cheaper than the $200 they are selling for.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that man. Looks like it will take a while to resolve as the seller and couriers will be arguing over blame.

constantine.

Reaction score
i'm surprised no one has mentioned that the damage will add more character to your raw denimz.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this is why I never mail clothes in those bags
I have no clue why retailers do this.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Maybe because it's cheap? Those Tyvek sleeves are virtually weightless.

PeterParker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bawlin
And yes, it was shipped in one of those plasticy tyvek sleeves. I assumed Imperial jeans came in a box.
Originally Posted by bawlin
mt89rp.jpg

Sorry for your situation. I don't really have any experience with damaged goods, but I thought I'd point out that the packaging it was shipped in does not appear to be Tyvek. Tyvek is pretty tear proof and most likely would not have failed like the packaging in the picture. That just looks like a regular plastic post bag (with bubble wrap on the inside?) which you could easily tear with your hands.

That being said, I've received clothing in both types of packaging. Fortunately, none of them have been damaged. For the record, Revolve Clothing shipped me a pair of jeans in a Tyvek envelope. When I received them I actually thought it was a pretty good idea. It's cheaper to ship in, and I think it might provide clothing more protection than a cardboard box.

Good luck with resolving your situation!

PS. Just noticed this, but looks like someone at Australia Post has something against New Zealand.

spreadcollar

Reaction score
to my understanding, paypal doesn't award for not as described in this circumstance.

Originally Posted by sho'nuff
paypal also awards claims on 'not as described' which in this case, it would probably fall under.

spreadcollar

Reaction score
also, that packaging sucks. tyvek (preferably double wrapped) is a solid option for sending clothing that won't get crushed (e.g. dress shirt collars). a box is best, esp. for more expensive items, though more costly.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peter, you're right, it's not Tyvek and it's a lot less durable than the shipping envelopes that we can buy at Canada Post. Anyways I just went to Canada Post and sure enough they told me to contact the seller and have him contact Australia Post. I just hope the store/seller takes responsibility like any real business would. Either way, I'll give him a chance to make right before I do anything else.

videocrew

Reaction score
Why would you EVER do business with Australians? It's a penal colony, what did you expect?

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surprised by some of the responses here. This is the seller's responsibility. They should be handling all dealings with the shipper(s), not the buyer.

I can see using the bags because they may be cheaper than boxes (even taking into account having to deal with issues such as this from time to time), but it's not something the recipient should be inconvenienced with.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constantine.
i'm surprised no one has mentioned that the damage will add more character to your raw denimz.

happy.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads