• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Punch Resistance

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the science behind this? Boxers can take punishment from combos from hard hitters like Tyson, Hearns, etc, but why do so many people get dropped by one hit out on the streets? Those random people can't hit as hard as guys who get paid to beat people up for a living.
eh.gif

dhaller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Anyone know the science behind this? Boxers can take punishment from combos from hard hitters like Tyson, Hearns, etc, but why do so many people get dropped by one hit out on the streets? Those random people can't hit as hard as guys who get paid to beat people up for a living.
eh.gif

The obvious answer is defensive training and conditioning - there's a big difference between a boxer anticipating a punch and reacting defensively and some Joe Average on the street with zero reflexes who pretty much just stands there and absorbs the full impact of a punch. Ouch.

As to "punch resistance" (which is the measure by which a fighter avoids a KO), there are three factors:
i. Thickness of skull - this is genetic, obviously
ii. Neck strength: A KO is caused by a blow which causes the brain to bounce around (it's suspended in a fluid matrix), bruising the surface. A stronger neck can act literally as a shock absorbed for the head, so that less force is transmitted to the brain (hence less rattling around in the skull).
iii. Dehydration: Boxers dehydrate to hit their weight class, and dehydration reduces the level of fluid in the skull; less fluid - less brain-bounce = fewer KOs. Obviously, dehydration carries its own risk, but it does enhance punch resistance.

DH

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is something to be said for being in a ring, knowing your going to get hit (being prepared for it), and knowing what it's generally going to feel like.

That said, I've also seen plenty of boxers in golden gloves matches get a hard, direct hit and basically have the fight be over. Most of the time boxers are covered, moving, and absorbing the forces coming in from a punch. Majority of people on the street aren't doing these things.

Also: You'd be suprised how hard a random person can hit with one punch and their entire body behind it, especially a fairly big guy. However, their ability to actually do it over and over again while keeping a defensive posture is severely lacking.

iampeter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by theyare
padded gloves?

padded gloves are really just there to protect your hands, not your opponent
smile.gif

they may reduce lbs per sq/inch but i doubt it makes a difference in the sport

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Training to get hit helps the body to get used to getting hit. After the first three months of Muay Thai training or boxing or whatever the body gets used to being hit.

It hurt like hell for the first couple of months of sparring but I got used to it after a while. The body adjusts.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Training to get hit helps the body to get used to getting hit. After the first three months of Muay Thai training or boxing or whatever the body gets used to being hit.

It hurt like hell for the first couple of months of sparring but I got used to it after a while. The body adjusts.

Conditioning and movement. Also, no Jagermeister in the system of the knocked out guy!

bimmernate

Reaction score
i would probably build up some physical resistance via muscular development to the neck since I have heard a knockout is sudden energy exerted onto the brain stem in a way that literally shuts off your consciousness

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
eh.gif

KO resistance or simple punch resistance? The first "fight" I ever got in to I hardly felt more than impact when I was hit for the most part. The exceptions were my nose and ear (the later of which hurt like a *****). 8-10 minutes after the fight was when it started to hurt. It was the same in boxing. When adrenaline is pounding through you, only certain really sensitive spots (I've been told that the legs feel it from a buddy of mine who kick boxes) feel the same sting that you do when you're hit in other circumstances.

KO resistance can be built with neck strength, but the boxing coach said that it was one of those things that you either had or you didn't, and that there wasn't much that could be done for it. I haven't seen to many knockouts in boxing though, and most of those that I have were by the time the guy was so exhausted that he could hardly stand anyway.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iampeter
padded gloves are really just there to protect your hands, not your opponent
smile.gif

they may reduce lbs per sq/inch but i doubt it makes a difference in the sport

Actually, padded gloves do a lot. The impact is absorbed over a larger area. You just don't get the same sudden jarring that you get when you get hit with a bare fist or a light (MMA style = 4 ounce) glove, although the total energy absorbed is the same. This is one of the reasons brain stem KOs happen in MMA so much more than in boxing.

Of course, over time, those repeated shots really take it out of you, which is why MMA is often considered much less damaging to the brain than boxing. Having competed in both MMA and kickboxing, I'd agree with the assessment.

And yeah, a fairly big guy can still hit, even if he has no training. His form, etc... will be completely off - he will probably load up his right and then drop it to swing from his hips, but if he catches you... ouch...

bBoy JEe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Actually, padded gloves do a lot. The impact is absorbed over a larger area. You just don't get the same sudden jarring that you get when you get hit with a bare fist or a light (MMA style = 4 ounce) glove, although the total energy absorbed is the same. This is one of the reasons brain stem KOs happen in MMA so much more than in boxing.

Of course, over time, those repeated shots really take it out of you, which is why MMA is often considered much less damaging to the brain than boxing. Having competed in both MMA and kickboxing, I'd agree with the assessment.

And yeah, a fairly big guy can still hit, even if he has no training. His form, etc... will be completely off - he will probably load up his right and then drop it to swing from his hips, but if he catches you... ouch...

I like to swing from the hips. It makes it that much easier to hit your opponent in the 'nads. JYT taught me that one!
smile.gif

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
The first "fight" I ever got in to I hardly felt more than impact when I was hit for the most part. The exceptions were my nose and ear (the later of which hurt like a *****). 8-10 minutes after the fight was when it started to hurt.
For sure bro. I've been hit in the eyes, head, and nose in school fights but I didn't feel the bruises until a few days later. The first real punch that actually snapped my head was a leaping right hook while sparring.
Originally Posted by HgaleK
KO resistance can be built with neck strength, but the boxing coach said that it was one of those things that you either had or you didn't, and that there wasn't much that could be done for it. I haven't seen to many knockouts in boxing though, and most of those that I have were by the time the guy was so exhausted that he could hardly stand anyway.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. There's an example. Fast forward to 0:22. His legs give with that left hook.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its pretty much knowing that youre going to get hit. as the saying goes, its the one you didnt see coming. thats what generally knocks out boxers and people in the street. obviously being hit many times and practicing helps when taking a punch. as was said above someones "chin" has a huge deal to do with it. some people are extremely hard to knock out, and some people have glass chins. ive only ever been knocked down once in boxing, (knock on wood) and that was with a straight shot to the solar plexus. its funny how you can still try to stay up and man up when hit with a good shot to the head, but a good shot to the body and youre paralyzed. no matter how much heart, or will etc the person is going down.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
its pretty much knowing that youre going to get hit. as the saying goes, its the one you didnt see coming. thats what generally knocks out boxers and people in the street. obviously being hit many times and practicing helps when taking a punch. as was said above someones "chin" has a huge deal to do with it. some people are extremely hard to knock out, and some people have glass chins. ive only ever been knocked down once in boxing, (knock on wood) and that was with a straight shot to the solar plexus. its funny how you can still try to stay up and man up when hit with a good shot to the head, but a good shot to the body and youre paralyzed. no matter how much heart, or will etc the person is going down.
This is true. Worse place to get hit is the liver.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I only spar but the closest I ever went to going down was a hard hook to the midsection. My legs instantly turned to jello and all my energy was zapped out of me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads