• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pumps (Sans Bow)

justagentlemen

Reaction score
Well,I have been given two pair of pumps,one in kidskin (forgive my ignorance,but is this equal to calfskin?),and one in patent.Basically,they are opera pumps without the bow.My question is,what on Gods Green Earth do I do with these things??The patent ones,I suppose,could be worn with a dinner jacket,seeing as though my current opera pumps are in a state of disrepair,but the kidskin ones,I have no idea what to do with.I suppose I could polish them to a mirror finish and then wear them with a blackwatch dj at home,or maybe with an ivory dj in the Summer.Any adivce?I don't want to throw them away since they were gifts,but I feel just as bad leaving them to sit.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
I think you're in an enviable position. Based on what I've read, calf is as correct as patent (I don't know if the lack of bow makes a difference but I wouldn't worry about it), and is preferred by some people. I would assume that kid is equivilent to calf and would wear both pairs as you've described - patents with black and kids with ivory. To me, a black DJ is more formal than an ivory one, and patents would be more formal than kids.

I like to do something comparable for the same reason - detachable wing collar and vest with my black DJ and turndown collar and cummerbund with my ivory DJ. Patent pumps (with bow) with both (unfortunately - I'd like to have a pair in calf as well).

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
depends, what size are you? I might take them off your hands
biggrin.gif

justagentlemen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf
I think you're in an enviable position. Based on what I've read, calf is as correct as patent (I don't know if the lack of bow makes a difference but I wouldn't worry about it), and is preferred by some people. I would assume that kid is equivilent to calf and would wear both pairs as you've described - patents with black and kids with ivory. To me, a black DJ is more formal than an ivory one, and patents would be more formal than kids.

I like to do something comparable for the same reason - detachable wing collar and vest with my black DJ and turndown collar and cummerbund with my ivory DJ. Patent pumps (with bow) with both (unfortunately - I'd like to have a pair in calf as well).

Post deleted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads