• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Puma Mongolian BBQ

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(I was going to cross-post this on Superfuture, but I guess that ain't happening for a few days at least...)

Puma's Mongolian shoe BBQ is going to be in Melbourne for the next six weeks. Anyone here ordered some shoes from the program?

If so, how'd they turn out? Was there a decent number of options? What kinds of materials are available? Got pictures?

Thanks.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did a little research on it a while ago, but decided not to do it. It's a little on the expensive side (for me at least), and you only have one shoe model to work with. I think Nike's, although you have fewer fabric options, is a little better, and starts much cheaper.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mongolian BBQ the food was invented in Taiwan half a century ago. The first makers served it under a bridge in Taipei.

cielo

Reaction score
I designed two pairs last year and, depending upon the color/material selection, will do at least another pair if it comes to SF again. Since you're designing them in person, you can't visualize your work like Nike ID. I gathered all the pictures I could of finished shoes before my appointment (call to schedule).

They had a variety of patterns/colors. The material I have on my shoes are cloth, suede, leather, synthetic mesh, etc. You also get to choose from a variety of laces.

While I wish they had other shoe options, My only complaint is the white sponge mid-sole; I typically avoid shoes with this mid-sole since it is so so difficult to keep them from turning black. Additionally, designing a second pair was more challenging as my creativity waned. I should have scheduled the second pair another day. I'm happy with how both my shoes turned out and am glad to say they are quite comfortable.

I could've easily designed a smart (read: simple) shoe that would resemble a colorway Puma made themselves, but with all the options, why not make something funky? Here are the only pictures I can access at the moment:

pumabbqraw.jpg

pumabbqfinished.jpg

Fritz

Reaction score
I designed a pair, too. I didn't mix in as many different patterns as cielo did. Essentially I got pair of navy pinstripe sneakers with brown suede detailing, so it's still unique and something I wouldn't be able to get OTR. Sorry, I have no camera, but I think they go nicely with denim. Especially after dark, because I am not a fan of black sneakers (or any black for that matter) with denim.

It's a fun process. You definitely need some patience to sort through the batches with swatches. If you want a particular piece in a particual material and you can't find it, you can ask the staff. They went through the material they had "backstage" for refills for me, and found me a piece or two that I couldn't find. I liked the fact that you could actually touch and see the material. I found it easier to visualize how they would go together than on a computer screen. Still, you have to apply some phantasy to imagine what the shoe will look like.

I am happy with what I got. As mentioned there is only one shoe model, though. Also, and this I found rather surprising, they don't offer half sizes. I could deal with that in an non-athletic sneaker, but still found it somewhat disappointing in a "custom"-program.

kapay

Reaction score
It was soo hard to decide what patterns I wanted, it gave me an enormous headache. I was going for something brightly colored but not an eyesore.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's really a terrible system compared to Nike and Converse. The fact that its only held in select cities versus online for everyone. Also, it's got to be somewhat hard to design them on the spot rather than experiment online and play with the colors.

Brian SD

Reaction score
cielo those shoes are the ****. do they go well with a BAPE shark hoodie?

No really though, killaaa

cielo

Reaction score
Found out via Slam X Hype that BBQ is up and running. I've been messing around with it right now and the options are endless. I'm sure I'll configure and buy a pair before the night is over.

http://mongolianshoebbq.puma.com/

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Holy **** that interface is hard to use. I'm not going to play Grabber just to configure a shoe.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Holy **** that interface is hard to use. I'm not going to play Grabber just to configure a shoe.

God, you're right. Very irritating.

The Grapist

Reaction score
The thread title sounds delicious. The content, somewhat disappointing.
frown.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had my first Mongolian BBQ a couple of years ago in Michigan, it was deliciously awesome. Sounds like a good idea for shoes too.

Anybody have an idea how their sizing is compared to New Balance or Nike? Or are they like the other Pumas?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads