1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Puma for Jil Sander Sneakers

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rach2jlc, May 8, 2006.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just wanted to get some opinions on this designer collaboration (the one that started them all).

I've long thought it an interesting collab, having watched it since its inception in 1998, but over the past year or so have managed to accumulate a fair number of them thanks to ebay, yoox sales, etc. They've quickly become my favorite sneakers, thanks to their low profile and slim design. They're sneakers that look great but don't wear YOU instead of you wearing them.

Any thoughts on the Puma/Jil Sander collab? Or any other designer collaboration, for that matter?

John

2. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Most collaborations, in my experience, are little more than well marketed and stupidly comical markups.

3. Flame

Flame Senior member

Personally as much as I like Jil Sander, the collabo wasn't my cup of tea. Mihara's pumas, in my opinion, was also a little bit on the wack side.

4. rach2jlc

5. gza

gza Senior member

I have yet to see a product from that collaboration that strikes me as particularly attractive. In fact, from an appearance standpoint I rather prefer many of the non-designer Pumas. It's too bad, since Jil Sander has put out so many nice shoes for her main label.

6. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

About four or five years ago, the collab was producing some leather track shoes with thin soles. I bought a couple pairs in different colours, and they are still some of my favs. Stragnely simple design that non-designer mfrs seem unable to do. Holding up well. The leather is full grain and a bit softer than what I normally notice on trainers. That said, most of the markup wenmt towards the little tag on the side.

7. jpgm

jpgm Senior member

anyone got pics of these...?

8. rach2jlc

Here are a few pics of mine (the model no. of them is 340446 03).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

John

9. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Those are the ones I have in a couple different colourways.

10. rach2jlc

When you described yours, I wondered if they might be the same. I'm glad to hear that they'll hopefully hold up pretty well.

John

p.s. What other colors do you have?

11. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I don't wear them hard or often but they are pretty fresh. I have: white with lime green logo; dark olive with light beige logo; sand with orange logo.

12. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

i got a pair of Puma MY-12s from an online retailer that are so amazingly plain. they were $99 marked down from $275. i would have returned them were it not for the sale policy of the retailer (read the fine print online shoppers!!!).

give me a pair of $40 (on sale) Puma Anjans any day of the week.

-Jeff

13. rach2jlc

I don't wear them hard or often but they are pretty fresh. I have: white with lime green logo; dark olive with light beige logo; sand with orange logo.

Sand with orange logo, eh? Sounds nice. Wouldn't happen to be a size 11 or 12 that you've recently gotten tired of wearing, would they????

John

14. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Haha sorry. But they are probably the best looking trainers I own.

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

16. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Neil Barrett has designed some rather sordid affairs too but at least lacking the pretension of those McQueens. Anatomical viens, My Left Foot inded.

17. rach2jlc

I generally quite like McQueen, but I agree totally about those shoes... they are really unnattractive. I know that he (and Stella McCartney, for that matter) have really felt pressure by the execs at Gucci Group to make their brands financially solvent. I believe that only Bottega Veneta has yet really to make much money, followed by Balenciaga. But, of the other smaller brands under the Gucci umbrella, I know that McQ and Stella have yet to make a turnover.

So, hence we see LOTs of collaborations (Stella for H&M, Stella for Adidas, McQ diffusion line, McQueen jeans, McQueen for Puma, McQueen perfume, etc.) but after the initial wave of interest passes from these McQueen shoes, I think we'll be seeing lots of them on ebay for $50 or less.

Especially look at that awful sneaker with the buttons sewn all over it. What was he thinking???

John

18. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

When you attempt to commercialize designers like McQueen all you get is less than mediocre for the crowd who thinks they are avant-garde by buying distilled collaborations between a sportswear company and a coerced designer.

YSL has almost become financially solvent what with the recent popularity of Stefano Pilati and the trend of wide belts, and tulip skirts, which he introduced.

Out of all the Gucci Group brands, probably Balenciaga has remained more or less untouched, at least now. Their lariat bags have sold well. Although thinking from what they were, as a couture atelier to becoming some sub-brand really also taints the brand image.

19. VMan

VMan Senior member

I really like most of the 96 Hours collection, though $440 is pretty nuts for a pair of sneakers.

20. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Neil Barrett has designed some rather sordid affairs too but at least lacking the pretension of those McQueens. Anatomical viens, My Left Foot inded.

I saw the Neil Barretts last fall in NYC and thought they looked really cool, but not worth dropping $300. The Puma Miharas are another collaboration that I think are ass-ugly.