• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pulling off a full cut khaki trench coat? I dress casually

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fOoi3uu.jpg

Is a button down and chinos too casual for this? I'm still not 100% certain on this trench for my wardrobe.

yanagi

Reaction score
I think it's fine. Regardless, a full cut trench coat is useful for rainy and/or windy days.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Try wearing that with a very chunky sweater (maybe in navy) and leaving the coat open. If you want, you can experiment with loosely tying the belt in the back to give the coat some shape.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's fine. Regardless, a full cut trench coat is useful for rainy and/or windy days.
Word, maybe I just need to get used to it. I'm used to more close fitting overcoats in comparison.
Try wearing that with a very chunky sweater (maybe in navy) and leaving the coat open. If you want, you can experiment with loosely tying the belt in the back to give the coat some shape.
Oh, that's what I have on underneath in the picture. It seems like it oddly fills the niche of my winter overcoat that way which I already have.

Just tried wearing it open with the belt tied in the back and it definitely looks good.

Should I basically treat this like a loose field jacket if I want to wear it casually?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Word, maybe I just need to get used to it. I'm used to more close fitting overcoats in comparison.

Oh, that's what I have on underneath in the picture. It seems like it oddly fills the niche of my winter overcoat that way which I already have.

Just tried wearing it open with the belt tied in the back and it definitely looks good.

Should I basically treat this like a loose field jacket if I want to wear it casually?

Reasonable people disagree, but I find that outerwear often looks better open. Obviously, if you're in a storm, you're going to want to close your trenchcoat. But stylistically speaking, I find leaving a coat open allows it to look more interesting.

With very full coats like that, I also think that, if you're not going to wear a suit or sport coat underneath, then you need something to fill that space. A chunky sweater usually does the trick. If you only have a dress shirt underneath, it can look a bit off.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reasonable people disagree, but I find that outerwear often looks better open. Obviously, if you're in a storm, you're going to want to close your trenchcoat. But stylistically speaking, I find leaving a coat open allows it to look more interesting.

With very full coats like that, I also think that, if you're not going to wear a suit or sport coat underneath, then you need something to fill that space. A chunky sweater usually does the trick. If you only have a dress shirt underneath, it can look a bit off.
I remember disagreeing on this months ago on your overcoat article, but I see the appeal now. It's been chilly and blustery, but not very wet here, and that sounds like just the opportunity to do it.

That explains why something didn't quite feel right with just an OCBD. I tried on an overshirt and it helped to fill some space.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something? I do not see any buttons on the coat.
Is it one of those wrap models with hidden buttons/snaps?
If there are none, then it is no practical value…when it rains.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something? I do not see any buttons on the coat.
Is it one of those wrap models with hidden buttons/snaps?
If there are none, then it is no practical value…when it rains.
There is a hidden button on the chest, and one at the bottom sweep.

Also a throat latch which isn't apparent.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My suggestion, since you are not 100% certain of this choice,
is to purchase a classic trench instead.

eg. https://grenfell.com/collections/trench-coats

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My suggestion, since you are not 100% certain of this choice,
is to purchase a classic trench instead.

eg. https://grenfell.com/collections/trench-coats

The one in the OP was $95 thrifted, that would run me $1880CAD with tax and duties, I can't afford that.

Classic trenches have far too many bells and whistles, that's why I bought this one.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Classic trenches have far too many bells and whistles, that's why I bought this one.
[/QUOTE]

Bells and whistles are for attaching necessary items for fighting the Hun:

WW1-trench-coats.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads