• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pulled Trigger: ACER AS7745-7949

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EDIT: Just ordered this for $600 shipped.

Thanks for all the helpful info.

I'm no where near up to date on laptop/computer technology. Is this a good deal for basic home computing/internet use?

Can I buy an aftermarket docking station rather than spend $130 on their "video docking station"?

Lenovo U460

"¢ IntelÂ
00ae.png
Coreâ„¢ i5-480M Processor ( 2.66GHz 1066MHz 3MB )
"¢ Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64
"¢ 4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
"¢ 14.0" HD LED Glare 1366x768
"¢ 500GB 5400
"¢ NVIDIA GeForce 305M

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dr.no
I'm no where near up to date on laptop/computer technology. Is this a good deal for basic home computing/internet use?

Can I buy an aftermarket docking station rather than spend $130 on their "video docking station"?

Lenovo U460

"¢ IntelÂ
00ae.png
Coreâ„¢ i5-480M Processor ( 2.66GHz 1066MHz 3MB )
"¢ Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64
"¢ 4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
"¢ 14.0" HD LED Glare 1366x768
"¢ 500GB 5400
"¢ NVIDIA GeForce 305M

Seems like a normal price to me. Not a good deal, but definitely not a bad one.

The slow HDD would be a problem for me. Since my notebooks aren't my main storage devices, I wouldn't mind throwing in a 64gb SSD for a huge speed boost.

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, as long as I'm not overpaying. Don't see the option to upgrade SSD, nor do I know what that is, so I suppose I won't be want for it.

What about the docking station? Have lots of peripherals.

EDIT: Costco has a differently config'd U460 for $499.
Costco U460S

ratratan

Reaction score
ideapads suck. i bought one since my last ibm laptop was built like a tank. lasted 2 years on me. everything was still running perfect and the specs are mora than i needed but all the hardware just seemed to rot by itself. the hiinges were also hollow so if you drop it a few times the cheap plastic is bound to break. by the time i threw it the screen was already seperated from the keyboard. i'm back on a 4 year old toshiba protege. might get a new satellite since this one runs abit slow nowadays...

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SSD (Solid State Drive) would replace the hard drive in the laptop. You can get a 64gb version for under $100 now. They are extremely fast (usually around 2-3x faster than a traditional HDD, especially the 5400rpm dogs that comes with most notebooks these days), use very little power, generate very little heat, and are silent.

That Costco U460s is an ultra portable, ULV type notebook. Not really a workhorse type machine but will do fine for internet browsing, music listening, movie watching etc. Don't plan on doing much photoshop, programming, or gaming on it though.

The only problem I see with the U460s is the usable lifespan due to the much slower processor, compared to the i5 in the other U460. Then again, you'll likely be looking for a replacement either way in 3-4 years.

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Laptop purchased - how'd I do?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads