• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Pull up bar

Jake431

Reaction score
So, I'm trying to pick a pull up bar for my little home gym. I'm looking for one that mounts to the door frame - and all the brands look pretty much the same. I don't want to spend a lot (under $30-$40 seems doable) - does anyone have a good recommendation for a specific model to get or avoid?

Thanks, I'm really learning alot here.

-Jake

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I was kind of expecting this to say - pull-up bar, for sale, now that we've determined that pull-ups don't help build your pecs!

I have no idea what type to buy - just make sure it's rated to hold your weight and you install it properly.

Jake431

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I was kind of expecting this to say - pull-up bar, for sale, now that we've determined that pull-ups don't help build your pecs!

I have no idea what type to buy - just make sure it's rated to hold your weight and you install it properly.

Ha! Actually I'd like to work on my back - since I am also working on my chest - and a pull up bar seems a good way to do that...

-Jake

mbc

Reaction score
I have this one (with the optional wide-grip extension): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=3375251

The good: No installation required, variety of grip positions, solid frame.

The bad: The foam on the ends that rest against the door frame tore apart rather quickly. As a result, the wooden door frame is denting a bit and some black marks are evident. Also, the padded bit that counterbalances against the wall above the door frame has certainly done some damage to the paint on the wall.

In other words, I wouldn't use it someplace that you are worried about a little aesthetic damage. But functionally it's been great.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to buy a pullup/dip stand because I couldn't find a door frame one that was rated for my weight.

By the way, although pullups don't work your chest, they are amazing at working your back. Highly recommended.

I would recommend checking ebay, there's always great exercise equipment on there.

Or, check out:

New York Barbells

DNW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a decent pull up bars before, but I don't remember the name. If you're looking for one, go to your local gym hardware store. They're usually pretty cheap, mostly under 30 bucks. And yes, pullups are awesome exercises for your biceps, lats, and shoulders. You can also get the wrist straps and ankle straps and get to work on your abs. Doing abs up-side-down or right-side-up are killer man!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.8%
  • 31 - 40