1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Puckered collars on suit jackets?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Zubberah, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Zubberah

Zubberah Senior member

Noticed recently in Intolerable Cruelty that most of George Clooney's jackets collars were "puckered" (not sure if this is the term but sort of bubbled) around the seams and not ironed out . And I presume he was wearing quality suits.

I have also seen this on upmarket suits from Zegna and even Brioni and Oxxford (from pics on eBay and in stores).

My question is - is this a flaw of manufacture or is it considered acceptable?

** EDIT** I have also seen this on cheap suits like Cerruti which is fused.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I think that you're talking about the hand-finishing on the lapels. It's actually considered by some to be the mark of a good suit.

3. DandySF

DandySF Senior member

The "puckering" you see is the evidence of hand tailoring, in contrast to a machine which produces clean, flat, and nearly invisible seams. Some machine-made suits will include touches of hand tailoring in the most visible parts of a coat--the lapels and the pockets.

A small and savvy group of people considers the evidence of hand tailoring desirable because it shows the work of the human hand, faults and all. It also appeals to people who have an appreciation for artisinal products and the labor and craftsmanship that go into creating them.

4. FCS

FCS Senior member

Do you have a particular picture about this 'puckering' suit?

5. marc39

marc39 Well-Known Member

Or, the "puckering" could be the result of a cheaply fused
    suit---pieces of the garment glued together. After a few trips to the dry cleaners, the heat of the cleaning process causes a breakdown of the glue and the cloth puckers. Zegna is famous for fusing their suits.

6. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior member

Hmm,

Is it really good to have the edge of the lapel pucker? I always figured that the lapel should be smooth. Maybe you are refering to something else, like pic-stitching(spelling correct?). I haven't seen the movie so I can't comment on it particularly. I would like to know everyone's comment, this is a good topic to discuss. I figure that puckering of any kind is not desired. Isn't the concept for the suit to be of smooth, clean lines?

-HitMan009