1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Publications (or internet sites) to advertise novel

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by SField, May 28, 2012.

1. SField

SField Senior member

I have a friend who is quite prominent in post production, with clients ranging from pop stars to fortune 500s.

He wrote a novel and wants to know what kind of publications to advertise in, or what websites to be ad space in. It's a sort of pop novel aimed for teens and college aged kids, and it is exclusively for kindle and other e-book formats.

Please let me know your input.

2. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

I assume he's self publishing? Tell him to check out the Writer's Cafe over at www.kindleboards.com

Lots of valuable information there. Keep in mind that, in general, paid advertisements don't usually tend to do much good for unknown authors. That being said, there's a lot of good information and examples of successful strategies for launching a book.

3. SField

SField Senior member

Makes sense. He has a pretty great bio and some cache as a film director, but I will direct him there.

4. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Twitter - I've tweeted about several books written by friends and constantly find myself followed by authors now.

5. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

A useful link - thanks.

My wife published her first book today (cover by yours truly): http://www.amazon.co.uk/River-Hollo...NJTY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344537670&sr=8-2

I've no idea about the marketing side.

6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    book promotion has changed about 180 degrees in teh last 5 years. it used to be all about big media -- buying ads, getting interviews, doing book tours to get on radio and tv. today, with a few lucky exceptions, that's all but vanished. now for most authors it's all about social media ... twitter and facebook especially. this is especially true for genre books (romance, mystery, and, yes, cookbooks), where there is an especially motivated and already identified consumer base (god i've been in too many meetings).it involves getting active in organizations, going to conferences and conventions, building that web of "friendships" and "followers". it's a long build rather than a short build, but it can pay off.

ps: mok, i love that cover. nice job. and have your wife check to see if there might already be an existing facebook group for romance writers (how could there not be?). i'm on one for cookbook writers and there's a lot of great advice available. sometimes these are invitation only, but if you can find the administrator, they're usually pretty generous.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  7. SD1

SD1 Senior member

Following upon what foodguy says, I find myself moving away from traditional book signings and more onto social media, internet radio, speaking appearances, and genre-specific websites/groups. I also see a steady rise in e-book sales. While it still has not eclipsed my physical book sales, it is certainly becoming a larger piece of the pie. It's there where I see the most value for social media cross-promotion.

mok- BTW also agree with foodguy it's a great cover- don't underestimate, especially for that genre of book, the value of a good local newspaper story, especially for a first time author. News sites love that stuff. And speaking gigs at local groups- whether they be a women's lunch group, or a local writer's circle. Those are always a good way to get free publicity.

8. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

If you don't mind my asking, what do you write?

9. SD1

SD1 Senior member

Books on the Mafia/organized crime.