• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Public speaking prowess?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious about the forums experience with public speaking. Not so much going over numbers and figures, but lecturing, presenting, teaching..that type.

I consider myself a good and engaging public speaker, but have never really studied it or read any materials.

Anyone here a regular public speaker who has ever read a book or studied the art in some shape or fashion? There are obviously many, many options to read...wondering if there are any recommendations.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
heard good stuff (here and in the real world) about toastmasters...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a great public speaker, and speak often before audiences very large and small. It's a talent that came to me naturally, and my skills were enhanced by a class in undergrad and through practice over the years.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Toastmasters made a big difference to me. Part of the difference was the preparation, part was the feedback, and part was the steady practice. Some clubs are naturally better than others for various people, though.

854ca

Reaction score
In two of my classes during undergrad, our professors videotaped us during our first and last presentation of the semester.

If you've never seen yourself present, I would recommend doing this. You'll notice things about your body language, tone, and just general manner that will be extremely helpful as you look to improve.

imschatz

Reaction score

In two of my classes during undergrad, our professors videotaped us during our first and last presentation of the semester.

If you've never seen yourself present, I would recommend doing this. You'll notice things about your body language, tone, and just general manner that will be extremely helpful as you look to improve.
I noticed how stupid I look with my hands in my pockets. Now I notice it in other speakers, and it's a huge distraction for me. So .. pro's and con's I guess :)

Last edited:

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

That reminds me of a DVD that's floating around the house somewhere where I competed in a speech contest years ago. I still haven't watched the damn thing - and I won the contest.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Video is tops on my list and I'm working with my security folks to get it cleared. In the mean time I've started a prominent book on speaking just for some brainstorming - so far it's helped a lot!

I should say that while I am certainly interested in getting better and learning more for myself, the primary reason I ask is to help develop some training/practice/ideas for my subordinates.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go in with all the practice, research, understand, and memorization you can muster, but still keep a bit of spontaneity. I try to remember general subjects, points, and pace, but avoid planning things word for word.

And even though people jump all over it, a few drinks to keep in that realm of composure and friendliness is a help to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads