1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Psychedelics Research in the 1950s

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by willpower, Jan 30, 2011.

1. willpower

willpower Senior member

Interesting to listen to the 50s housewife use terms that became part of the lexicon of the late 1960s. Can you imagine dinner conversation between her and her husband from that point on in their marriage? - "Honey, did you ever really look at your hands? I mean, really look" "Sweetie, the Collective Unconscious transcends the time/space dimension. Now how about some cherry pie?" "The girls in the sewing circle asked me not to come back because they were tired of me quoting the Tibetan Book of the Dead" Never tried it myself. I always feared becoming a Deadhead selling PB&J sandwiches to make "bread" for the next concert.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I didn't listen to the whole thing but I did hear that he gave her a real high dose. I've done acid a few times in my day. It's interesting but I probably wouldn't do it now.

3. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

Its interesting but effects everyone differently. I just watched itunes visuaiizer and patterns on the ceiling move for about 8 hours in complete silence while other people around me where a little more loud and obviously getting a different effect. Just because you do it does not mean you are going to become a deadhead. I sure didn't become one. I have done it twice its pretty cool but not something you want to do to often.

4. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Wow, sounds like good acid. However at my age its not something I would not do now. The trips I had in my youth were a lot of fun, and insightful in their own way. And yes I do think overall it shifted my perspective on life, opened up some interesting vistas. A great book on the subject http://www.stormingheaven.com/

5. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

Sup?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Yeah, a lot of the '50s and '60s LSD research is really interesting. Check out the work of Stanislav Grof, who started off as a hardline Freudian and ended up as a psychologist a somewhat more expansive and sanguine worldview.

When I'm bored, I read erowid.com trip reports for fun. This is coming from a person who would never use LSD himself.

This is one of the most fascinating things I've ever read, particularly the part about Al Hubbard:

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/LSD/stevens1.htm

6. unjung

unjung Senior member

7. WoodyStylee

WoodyStylee Senior member

I'll have what she's having...

8. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

LSD Testing (British Troops)

I think it's particularly awesome that they gave them LSD and let them keep the rocket launcher.

[​IMG]

9. Geoff Gander

Geoff Gander Senior member

Interesting....Robert Anton Wilson wrote a few good articles and books on the history of consciousness-altering substances, and their influence on how people interact (or not) with the state and with their own personal reality tunnels. I've never tried the stuff myself, though I know people who have.

Incidentally, I've read that fresh, ground nutmeg can act as a mild hallucinogen.

10. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

Incidentally, I've read that fresh, ground nutmeg can act as a mild hallucinogen.

I believe Charlie Parker and his pals used to put it in their coffee on that basis, but I'm told you need prohibitively large amounts to achieve a proper high.

11. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

i've always been fond of the aesthetics of the era of psychedelic research

12. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I believe Charlie Parker and his pals used to put it in their coffee on that basis, but I'm told you need prohibitively large amounts to achieve a proper high.

They probably did it because they were trying to get off of junk. It's been used for that as well.

13. Big T

Big T Senior member

OK, first, what is wrong with being a Deadhead? The Dead dragged me out to the Haight, although it wasn't until the very early 80's. Can't believe it was that long ago now.

Second, nutmeg is a hallucinogeon, although you have to eat so damn much of it that you get sick to the stomach before you start tripping. Former BIL and I did some in the early 70's-about a can each. It was hell getting it down but the worse part was the tripping didn't start until 4 or 5 hours later and then it lasted for better than 2 days. Only thing that made the wait bearable was the gram of hash we ingested along with the nutmeg.

Loved the Popular Science articles in the 60's where they had a reporter that would do anything, including tripping and reporting. Acid was legal until sometime in the mid 60's, if I remember correctly.

Tripping was OK, but you never knew where you would land.

14. Geoff Gander

Geoff Gander Senior member

Read Robert Anton Wilson's "Sex, Drugs, and Magick" to get a good historical overview of how drugs have been treated since ancient times (speculations on the Stone Age, to Hassan i Sabbah's Hashishim, and the 20th century). LSD was apparently used in clinical trials to treat various forms of psychosis - and apparently it worked sometimes.

Obviously RAW has a slant, but if you're familiar with his works he's pretty thorough.

15. relax99

relax99 Well-Known Member

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. This study was insightful

16. milosz

milosz Senior member

I never enjoyed acid. Mushrooms were a much better trip - shorter, less of a mind-fuck, no hangover.

Of course, my first time on LSD I did five hits of liquid, so maybe if I had started slower...

17. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for

We used to buy out the local garden center's supply of Morning Glory seeds; fairly potent hallucinogen. You'd get sick to your stomach and then about 3 hours later start tripping your eyes out.

I seem to recall they are now treated with something to discourage such use.

18. Big T

Big T Senior member

Blotter was always a crapshoot. Depends how steady a hand was distributing the drops! I once got hold of true mescaline that was the best trip ever, also was the most potent aphrodisiac ever! Most mesc. after that was just acid.

Never tried morning glory seeds, sounds like the nutmeg we did.

Good old days, 'eh? Haven't done any psychedelics now in over 35 years, that I know of. Last time I saw the Dead was about a month before Jerry passed. My cousin and I were really blown away on a lot of drink, hash and some speed. On the way out some young hippie chick gave us some sort of tofu pizza. Cousin puked right away, me, I enjoyed things for about the next 24 hours or so. 30 days later Garcia was pickin' and grinnin' in the hereafter.

Me, I returned to my corporate world and my cousin returned to his truckin.

19. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I once got hold of true mescaline that was the best trip ever, also was the most potent aphrodisiac ever!

Roommate and I went through 300 hits of mescaline one summer. I will second your aphrodisiac observation.

This sounds like a Harry Chapin lyric.

20. Big T

Big T Senior member

Roommate and I went through 300 hits of mescaline one summer. I will second your aphrodisiac observation.

This sounds like a Harry Chapin lyric.

Hope your roommate was of the opposite sex! My ex-BIL and I got 100 hits of blotter one summer with the thoughts of selling most and keeping a little for ourself. That never works out well!

One of these days I've got to figure out what was real and what was an illusion (with a nod to the Moody Blues) from those days.

Earlier line wasn't meant to be Harry Chapin, but I like the comparison.