• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

psssst, Aidan!  click here.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The top 10 baby names of 2004 Apologies in advance for this worthless thread, but seriously, I've never even heard of the name 'Aidan' before. Have I been living under a rock? (answer almost undoubtedly a resounding "yes")

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aidan is, I think, a normal Irish name. There was that actor, uh, Aidin Quinn, I think...

It was also recently the name of a Sex and the City character, might contribute to it.

I personally preferred Eamon, but then that jackass weak R+B singer went and attached his no-talent ass clown career to it.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aidan is, I think, a normal Irish name. There was that actor, uh, Aidin Quinn, I think...

It was also recently the name of a Sex and the City character, might contribute to it.

I personally preferred Eamon, but then that jackass weak R+B singer went and attached his no-talent ass clown career to it.
I personally learned the name when I learned about Eamon de Valera. I like the name, although I don't think when I have kids the name will be particularly high on my list.

Jon.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The top 10 baby names of 2004 Apologies in advance for this worthless thread, but seriously, I've never even heard of the name 'Aidan' before. Â Have I been living under a rock? Â (answer almost undoubtedly a resounding "yes")
Under a rock, I know 2 Aidans

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aiden is actually on the list of names my wife want to use, it works well in the 3 languages we speak in the trotter household. I am lobbying strongly for either tecumsah or odyssious, but have a snow balls chance in hell of either of those.

strangly enough, I grew up with a very unusual name and now my name is very common for children. go figure how these things work.

redtree00

Reaction score
Globetrotter,

May I ask what is this unusual name of yours ?

Redtree00

Brian SD

Reaction score
Aidan is also the first name of the Arab Strap singer/songwriter, Aidan Moffat.

I always thought if I had kids I'd go with really traditional names that are semi uncommon amongst children these days, namely (no pun intended) John and Thomas.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Globetrotter,

May I ask what is this unusual name of yours ?

Redtree00
zach,  growing up, I never met a zach (it's not like tecumsah, but it isn't like george, either) now its in the top ten for the past few years, and I am always running into kids named zach.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it Zach or Zecharia ?
actually, it was zach (short for zachary) for the first 12 or so years of my life, and then zachariah, for the next 6 or so, then I went by my last name mostly for a few years, and then it became just plain zach for the past 15 years or so.
in israel zachariah is a name of an old yeminite, in terms of steriotypes. I guess it is about as common as meeting somebody named caleb in nyc today. when I was a kid in the states, I never met anybody with that name.

why do you ask?

redtree00

Reaction score
From reading previous posts I noticed that you were Israeli, I don't know any Israeli "Zach" but I do know several "Zecharia", mostly old yemenites like you mentioned and also several "Dosim" My name is Ilan, hence the name "redtree00". The red is for the shem mishpacha, admoni. chashavta she ata levad po ?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
actually, hashavti. there aren't that many israelis who wear ties, let alone spend time writing about it.
but that's why I figured you were asking, and actually, most people who didn't know me ended up calling me Tzakh or something similar. the last 8 or 10 years I was living in Israel (I left last year) most of my friends and collegues were in the high tech world so my name wasn't a problem for them. where are you based now?

redtree00

Reaction score
Globetrotter,

I am in NYC, I made Yerida 14 years ago. I left the day after my Shichrur.

I wear a tie every day, you get used to them when you have been wearing them since you were 5 years old. I had to wear one every day as part of my school uniform as a kid.

Where in the US are you located ?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
suburbs of NYC. where were you in the army? I was feb 86 202.

redtree00

Reaction score
Feb 87
401 for a year then shtachim and aza for the rest.

Suburbs of NYC as in NJ or LI ?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami