• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: Trader Joe's marinated Ahi tuna steaks rule OK

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
We've licensed growers here in the state, but the DEA refuses to back off their "controlled substance" label for industrial hemp.

Industrial hemp.
lol8[1].gif

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
I haven't tried the ahi tuna steaks ... gonna remedy that this weekend.

Originally Posted by Piobaire
I also like their marinated carne asada and tri-tip for grilling.

Agreed, the tri-tip is my favorite. I usually buy 3-4 of them at a time so that way I'm always stocked up. Throw it on the grill and it's ready to go. If it's too cold to grill, then the range or oven will do almost as well.

The marinated leg of lamb (butterflied) is also excellent.

Unfortunately none of the TJs (or any grocer, for that matter) can sell wine in PA.
plain.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, for the 4th time since it opened last year, we attempted to shop for groceries at Trader Joe's near Union Square in NYC. We stopped right after we entered when we saw the lady holding the "Line ends here" sign. The line for the register was running around the entire store, all the way to the entrance. I'd estimate probably 300 people in line. So, for the 4th time since it opened last year, we turned around and went to Whole Foods.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Yesterday, for the 4th time since it opened last year, we attempted to shop for groceries at Trader Joe's near Union Square in NYC. We stopped right after we entered when we saw the lady holding the "Line ends here" sign. The line for the register was running around the entire store, all the way to the entrance. I'd estimate probably 300 people in line. So, for the 4th time since it opened last year, we turned around and went to Whole Foods.

Yeah, that's the general problem with TJ. If you go during the dinner rush hour, you'll see a line that's 100ft long. However, because the way the registers are set up, it moves very fast.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
They make their aisles too narrow also. It is like the damn stores were designed to make you feel claustrophobic. We tend to go only once a month at an off time, say dinner time Sundays.

Here's a TJ 1-2 we do:

Carne asada, fresh veggies, salad pack, fresh asparagus, make your own rice or use their frozen micro wave rice.

Sunday dinner:

BBQ the carne.
Asparagus: pour TJ olive oil over, pepper, garlic salt, put on BBQ until grilled
Rice.

Monday dinner:

Slice up left over BBQ carne
salad pack with fresh veggives

That's the type of thing TJs is great for, IMO. Tasty, fairly health, fairly fast meals.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
gdl, you need to do the tag-team shopping. One person immediately gets in the long line with a cart. You'll be done shopping by the time you are around 2/3rds through the store.

It is insane.

But is it worth the trouble? From what we've seen on display, our answer was a quick and definitive no.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But is it worth the trouble? From what we've seen on display, our answer was a quick and definitive no.

There are some things that are worth it--cashews, 100% pomegranate juice, frozen swordfish steaks--but it is so crazy I try to limit my trips there.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

YMMV, but for us, the answer is "yes". Most items are tasty, easy to cook, and semi-to-fairly healthy. Most items. So if you like to try and avoid take out, and your have an intense schedule, a TJ meal is often quick and tasty without being overly loaded in fats. You can probably get similar items at Whole Foods or Sprouts, but the TJ branded stuff is pretty reliable.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score

I'd say it's worth the trip if you can go off-peak. In the Philly location the parking lot is often jammed during high traffic times. They are open until 9-10PM (depending on location) so I find going later at night is the ticket.

itskub

Reaction score
I've never been in line for more then 10 minutes-ish.

Anyhow I picked a couple of these Ahi steaks up. Besides rice, whats something easy to serve them with? I have a bunch of avocados.. maybe a tomato / avocado salsa?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Steamed asparagus.

Better yet, grill the asparagus alone with the ahi.

brosnan6

Reaction score
I just picked up one of these Tuna steaks last week...still sitting in my freezer though until I figure out when I want to eat it. I've never cooked tuna before, so I guess I should figure that out as well
wink.gif

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think people who never been inside of NYC's Trader Joe's don't realize just how insane it is. I still remember how last year I was filmed by a Japanese film crew while standing in line just to enter the store.

Once you enter the store you may find not one but two lines, for regular and express checkout that start at the entrance. The store is fairly small and the isles are narrow, and while the shopping carts are a special compact model (1/4 size) you can barely squeeze through with the people standing two abreast on the checkout line. If you shop at some ungodly hour like 8AM on Sunday it is probably better but on a Friday night you will need all the patience of a saint.

I prefer to shop at more humane TJs on Long Island or NJ when I get a chance. There is one due to open in Brooklyn Heights also.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics