• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: Shell Cordovan Boots at Paul Smith

evanrose

Reaction score
If anyone is interested, over the weekend, I stopped into the Paul Smith store on Greene St. in SoHo in New York and saw that they have two styles of shell cordovan boots for sale for around $650 a pair. I didn't get the manufacturer, but I did get a photo. If anyone finds out more info about these boots, please post. I intend to do a bit more recon when I have time.

2882631600_6fffe9e8af_o.jpg

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were they stamped "shell cordovan" somewhere? PS doesn't sound like the type to do shell, and sure as hell isn't the type to do it for $650.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Those, unless I'm gravely uninformed, arent shell cordovan. It's a new color of calf leather PS is doing this season called "cordo" since it looks like a #8 cordovan (but a bit more brown)

I've tried on both those boots shown, the Corso (brogued) and Ricard (plain toe) in the cordo color. It's a high shine leather, easily broken in and definitely not cordovan as I have a pair of laceups in that leather.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that true shell cordovan boots from Paul Smith would be >$1K

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
totally unscientific, but the leather on those 2 shoes looks too thin to be cordovan, and the toe on the wingtip looks a little grainy, like calf leather.

And yes, Paul Smith shell shoes would be $1k+

evanrose

Reaction score
Sorry if I've misled everybody, but I just got off the phone with them and the guy triple checked they were cordovan (horse) leather (but perhaps not "shell?"). Perhaps I'm ignorant of the difference. Can someone fill me in?

In the meantime, I'm going to cruise by there after work today and look at them more closely.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not very knowledable about PS shoes so what's the PSA here?

1. The price is good?
2. First cordovan PS boot offering?

HermesGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by evanrose
Sorry if I've misled everybody, but I just got off the phone with them and the guy triple checked they were cordovan (horse) leather (but perhaps not "shell?"). Perhaps I'm ignorant of the difference. Can someone fill me in?

In the meantime, I'm going to cruise by there after work today and look at them more closely.

Shell cordovan is the term used to denote the leather made from a horse's rump. A horse provides two "shells," or circular sheets of leather. Two or three pairs of shoes might be made from each shell. Yes, before that six month transformation, it is the skin of a horse rump, but in the end, it is quite something else. Shell cordovan leather is a classic testament to good taste, style, and comfort. This fabulous material is famous for its durability, as well as for the miraculous patina it develops over time.

The word "Cordovan" does not always guarantee that you are purchasing a genuine shell cordovan leather product. Because of the famous red-black of real shell cordovan at its best, other leathers (cow-based) are sometimes dyed to a similar color and tagged "cordovan." Please note that this use of the term refers to the dye color only, and does not indicate that a product is made of horse-rump, circular-shell, soft, supple, durable, beautiful shell cordovan leather. Don't be tempted by lower prices if you're looking for shell cordovan. You might think you're buying the best for less and ended up buying less for what its worth.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The guy you spoke with doesn't know what he is talking about. He is confusing "cordovan" the color with "shell cordovan" the material.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you are probably wrong about something, either the material or the price.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I dont know why there's still any question on what these are/arent....I was >this close< to buying these in both styles (had em on my feet), but already have them in other leathers so passed on it. it's NOT cordovan, just a color called "cordovan" Price is 615 for the brogued boots, not $650

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads