• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: "Save now on Alden Shoes" - theshoemart

bigchris1313

Reaction score
This just showed up in my inbox:

2011-Alden-Price-Raise.jpg

I appreciate them telling me this, but I still can't help but laugh.
crackup[1].gif

Price Increase Savings
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. That is pretty funny. A $40 price increase will mean many of the cigar shell offerings will be approaching $700! I'd been looking at adding a pair of Aldens. This makes that possibility slightly more unlikely now.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace
Totally agree......after I kop these
hfs1.jpg

Come to think of it,I need a few pairs too,but I just bought two pairs of cordovans from them.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reidrothchild
Thanks for sharing. That is pretty funny. A $40 price increase will mean many of the cigar shell offerings will be approaching $700! I'd been looking at adding a pair of Aldens. This makes that possibility slightly more unlikely now.

So at $660 they were within your grasp?..................................

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember when you used to be able to get a Hershey for a nickel... A nickel!

26920682.jpg

HarleyBob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978
So at $660 they were within your grasp?..................................

While we would all like to think that we are big time spenders and we pay full retail for everything, that most often isn't the case. You can't ever get a deal on Alden's. However, with their price increases, it is making it much more enticing for people to pay a little bit more and get a much higher quality shoe, i.e. Edward Green, Lobb, etc., when they are on sale. I think that is probably what reidrothchild is trying to say. At least that is what I think.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the only thing really wrong with the email is the subject line

"Save Now" = "Buy at current normal price" ???

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also, the groupthink idea that Aldens are "great value" should have been put to bed a long time ago. Aldens are the same price as C&J, and shoes like EG (calfskin) routinely sell for the same amount that people fetch for Alden shell (here, on B/S). you have a much better chance of finding a C&J shell blucher in a rare color at a retail store on discount than a rare Alden color as well

once you come to terms with the fact Alden is a luxury brand and is priced accordingly, and not some funky/cool "cheap but great quality" brand, these things shouldn't upset you.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Alden is already overpriced, IMO. But they can do it to keep up with demand. The ever increasing collaborations have increased demand, not to mention their popularity in Asia.

david3558

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
Alden is already overpriced, IMO. But they can do it to keep up with demand. The ever increasing collaborations have increased demand, not to mention their popularity in Asia.

Screw Asia then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads