• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: "Save now on Alden Shoes" - theshoemart

DStew

Reaction score
If they can pull off a price increase then more power to them. Personally, I liked my C&J much better than my alden in this price range.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DStew
If they can pull off a price increase then more power to them. Personally, I liked my C&J much better than my alden in this price range.

I agree with both of these sentiments. Alden will charge what the market will sustain, and good for them. For me, they're pricing me out. There are a few types of shoe that Alden seems to be known for, like their cordovan Norwegian Split Toes and their chukkas, but overall and in general I think you can get as nice or nicer for less. Granted, I'm not a cordovan junkie.

The E-mail in the first post was funny, but that kind of statement - "Buy now and save!" - is hardly new.

marg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
Alden =\\= Porsche. More like a Cadillac. And the Cadillac is now being priced closer to a Porsche.

i agree with you here. the point i was making is that porsche options packages are ridiculously priced, but the people buying porsche will still pay.

how can someone be "priced out" on a shoe they are already paying $650 for? presumably, if you can "afford" to pay $650, it shouldn't be much of a stretch to pay an extra $30. if you make $35k, but you just have to have those cordovans, it's time to re-evaluate those priorities...

marg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
I think it's less hipsters, and more Mark Mcnairy/young clothing blogger types.

j. crew without a doubt

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of spending more for an American made product, but this pricing is getting out of control. It's hard to justufy paying more for Aldens than I do for C&J's.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aon
That price is really steep for an Alden. I got a pair of Vass for 600USD.

+1

These price increases aren't going to push me towards Lobb, EG, or G&G, but they will push me to Vass.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
I like the idea of spending more for an American made product,
If the quality matches the sentiment, I'm all about this 100%. Plus, i have the luxry of living 30 min from Alden SF and I can swing by to grab a pair when the spirit moves me vs ordering, waiting in anticipation for weeks just to find they're not my cup o tea. Aldens rock my world
inlove.gif
But so do vass, JL, EG, JMW, etc :Inlove: Carmina doesn't
devil.gif

TRA8324

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
Tom at Leathersoul says they have had annual price increases as long as he has sold Aldens. something like a 5% price increase really isn't that outrageous

just inflation last year was what 2%?

that's actually a pretty large difference. that would mean that in that in 25 years a $700 pair of aldens is going to run you almost $2400 when it should only run you $1150. it adds up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads