• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

PSA: "Save now on Alden Shoes" - theshoemart

bigchris1313

Reaction score
This just showed up in my inbox:

I appreciate them telling me this, but I still can't help but laugh.

Price Increase Savings
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. That is pretty funny. A $40 price increase will mean many of the cigar shell offerings will be approaching $700! I'd been looking at adding a pair of Aldens. This makes that possibility slightly more unlikely now.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace
Totally agree......after I kop these

Come to think of it,I need a few pairs too,but I just bought two pairs of cordovans from them.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reidrothchild
Thanks for sharing. That is pretty funny. A $40 price increase will mean many of the cigar shell offerings will be approaching $700! I'd been looking at adding a pair of Aldens. This makes that possibility slightly more unlikely now.

So at $660 they were within your grasp?..................................

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember when you used to be able to get a Hershey for a nickel... A nickel!

HarleyBob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978
So at $660 they were within your grasp?..................................

While we would all like to think that we are big time spenders and we pay full retail for everything, that most often isn't the case. You can't ever get a deal on Alden's. However, with their price increases, it is making it much more enticing for people to pay a little bit more and get a much higher quality shoe, i.e. Edward Green, Lobb, etc., when they are on sale. I think that is probably what reidrothchild is trying to say. At least that is what I think.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the only thing really wrong with the email is the subject line

"Save Now" = "Buy at current normal price" ???

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also, the groupthink idea that Aldens are "great value" should have been put to bed a long time ago. Aldens are the same price as C&J, and shoes like EG (calfskin) routinely sell for the same amount that people fetch for Alden shell (here, on B/S). you have a much better chance of finding a C&J shell blucher in a rare color at a retail store on discount than a rare Alden color as well

once you come to terms with the fact Alden is a luxury brand and is priced accordingly, and not some funky/cool "cheap but great quality" brand, these things shouldn't upset you.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Alden is already overpriced, IMO. But they can do it to keep up with demand. The ever increasing collaborations have increased demand, not to mention their popularity in Asia.

david3558

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
Alden is already overpriced, IMO. But they can do it to keep up with demand. The ever increasing collaborations have increased demand, not to mention their popularity in Asia.

Screw Asia then.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 15 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 74 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 141 33.3%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 69 16.3%
  • 31 - 40