• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: People who claim cheap shoes "explode" after a few weeks are full of ****

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's just all agree that you're completely full of it, intentionally or not. Buy $500 shoes b/c they're pretty, but stop trying to justify your purchases by playing the durability angle. Thank you.

I bought a pair of hush puppy type shoes in 2001. They look like suade leather - gray. They were the most comfortable shoes I ever owned and although I only wore them once or twice a week for a few years, eventually, I wore them every day. I would estimate that I've worn those shoes at least 2,000 times. What kind of shoe could withstand 2,000 wearings? I can answer that... a $12 Earth Shoe from Wal-Mart!

http://www.zeroshare.info/omg_i_look_60

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 different beasts my friend.

I think the 'cheap shoes' SFers usually refer to are the likes of Boss. The shoes above are 90% rubber. Same stuff as tires on a pickup truck.

So yeah, they would last a long time.

Last edited:

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a very dark website...

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2 different beasts my friend.

I think the 'cheap shoes' SFers usually refer to are the likes of Boss. The shoes above are 90% rubber. Same stuff as tires on a pickup truck.

So yeah, they would last a long time.

Exactly. Compare a cheap leather oxford with even something like a pair of Allen Edmonds. The Allen Edmonds will last longer, survive multiple resoles / recraftings and show signs of really heavy wear slower.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with op. I have a pair of hush puppies black cheep ugly looking slip on shoes. I wore them 3 years 4 days a week. Those shoes were fully socked in wet weather over 100s of time. They are still in good condition. And I think they will last another 5 years even if worn every single day of the week. I don’t wear cheap looking shoes anymore. But that pair was the most comfortable shoes I ever had.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People need to understand and appreciate no welted shoe will be as comfortable as Ecco foamed shoes.

However, welted shoe keeps to look good until it becomes unwearbale. Ecco shoe can look pretty **** after a short period.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People need to understand and appreciate no welted shoe will be as comfortable as Ecco foamed shoes.

However, welted shoe keeps to look good until it becomes unwearbale. Ecco shoe can look pretty **** after a short period.

Wouldn't that depend more on the shape of the last and the quality of the upper, instead of the construction used?

couldnthaveknow

Reaction score
hmmm ok so, understand both sides because

- I love the feeling of wearing good quality shoes, they look very nice and look the part with a nice suit, but

- need to make accommodation for my hammer toes, which just can't do the whole leather soled thing that well... very painful

My compromise is RM Williams - great quality, looks rough and ready which I like even if its in the boardroom, and is more comfortable for me

The most comfortable pair of shoes I have ever worn though, is............... Diesel.... pair of sneakers I had in Uni... eventually wore the toe through, but remember them fondly

Shamefully, I get rotate my RMs with a pair of Hush puppies - the ones with the 'bounce' sole... its wide (EEE) and doesnt hurt my hammer toes, and for like a hundred bucks, they last ok especially when rotated... difference in quality is very obvious though - the hush puppies soles tend to crack after a while...

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hmmm
Shamefully, I get rotate my RMs with a pair of Hush puppies - the ones with the 'bounce' sole... its wide (EEE) and doesnt hurt my hammer toes, and for like a hundred bucks, they last ok especially when rotated... difference in quality is very obvious though - the hush puppies soles tend to crack after a while...

My old hushpuppy has bounce rubber sole – wide EEE was about $100. But had no sign of cracking sole. Most comfortable shoe I have. I have over 30 pairs of shoes form AE, to c&j and carmina . But that old pair of hushpuppy is the most comfortable. Even though I don’t wear them any more kept in the garage.

Harrydog

Reaction score

Let's just all agree that you're completely full of it, intentionally or not. Buy $500 shoes b/c they're pretty, but stop trying to justify your purchases by playing the durability angle. Thank you.

Apples to oranges. What you show compares more to sneakers than to shoes. As one poster said, compare to leather soled shoes - probably glued, not welted. And corrected grain most likely.

http://www.zeroshare.info/omg_i_look_60

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Those shoes are just enough to make a man contemplate suicide...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads