• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: Paypal is changing their feedback system

jessetk313

Reaction score
Fuckin ebay are pieces of ****. Soon they should just take all the money you earn for selling an item. This is ******* bullshit.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Google needs to throw in a few billions and create an alternative marketplace. eBay needs to be bitchslapped!

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers
It looks like 8.75 on the first 25 which is like 87 cents more or thereabouts. This is offset by a dime or more depending on your starting price. Then there is an increase from 3.25% to 3.50% for the next $975. This is basically a $2.50 increase per $1000 over the initial $25.
Fixed
wink.gif

The sharpest FVF jump (5.25% to 8.75%) ONLY applies to the first $25. After that, the fees do get raised, but by very little: 3.5% of the remaining balance (Final Price - $25), from the old rate of $3.25. The next bracket starts at $1000, and I don't think many here would be concerned about the change there.

Some of this would be offset by the decreased Insertion Fee.

A SF Example: Say, you sold a Zegna sportcoat at $100, starting price was $60

Before::
- Insertion fee: $2.40 (for starting price is in the $50 - $199.99 range)
- Final Value Fee: $1.31 (5.25% of the first $25) + $2.44 (3.25% of the remaining $75)
Total cost (w/o additional services): $6.15

After:
- Insertion fee: $2.00 (for starting price is in the $50 - $199.99 range)
- Final Value Fee: $2.19 (8.75% of the first $25) + $2.62 (3.50% of the remaining $75)
Total cost (w/o additional services): $6.81

In the end, it costs you an additional 66 cents on our $100 transaction. Grand sum I know.
teacha.gif

It's NOT that bad, folks.
smile.gif

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This thread just thoroughly ruined my night.

The fvf fee thing is not a big deal unless you are selling lots of low dollar items, in fact it may go down overall with the new powerseller discounts.

But the new feedback policy is INSANE. Buyers will now be able to behave however they want with no accountability. And even worse, a seller has NO way to assess a buyer when contemplating a sale. This makes me so angry I could just...

Maybe it is a good thing, could give me the motivation to finally take up something else for a living.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
It's NOT that bad, folks.
smile.gif

Say that every damn time they increase their fees. It's never THAT bad..."an inch at a time"

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
But the new feedback policy is INSANE. Buyers will now be able to behave however they want with no accountability. And even worse, a seller has NO way to assess a buyer when contemplating a sale. This makes me so angry I could just...

Maybe it is a good thing, could give me the motivation to finally take up something else for a living.

True
frown.gif
. There is some hope though: you can still filter buyers with a recent Unpaid Item strike. Also, sellers would be wise to report all violations on buyers' part: Unpaid Item, Feedback Abuse etc.

Don't leave though, A Harris. You're one of the best there is.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been reading the new policies and it gets even better. The new fvf fee discounts and the new 'best match' search results ranking (which will soon be the default ranking for all ebay searches) are both linked to the new DSR's (detailed seller ratings.) And a sellers rating (as it affects his fees and search ranking) will be based on the last 30 days of DSR's vs the last 90 days.

Basically, if a low volume seller were to get a few rogue buyers within a month he would get more than negative feedback that he can't reciprocate. His seller fees would go up and the exposure of his listings would go down. And due to the new feedback system it will be much harder to see those buyers coming. This is just incredibly jacked up.

Keep in mind that the DSR's are supposed to a 1-5 star rating. But a dissatisfied buyer is likely to just give to give one star ratings in all categories. This allows them to take more of a chunk out of the overall DSR than should be warranted for a single transaction.

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True
frown.gif
. There is some hope though: you can still filter buyers with a recent Unpaid Item strike. Also, sellers would be wise to report all violations on buyers' part: Unpaid Item, Feedback Abuse etc.

The great risk is NOT from deadbeats. Sellers won't ship before they actually receive the money. Worst case is losing the insertion fee should buyer do not pay.

At least with the old eBay feedback system, a seller can lookup a buyer's feedback to see there is any charge back/scam activities/patterns. That is the real scary part for sellers.

The new ebay feedback system is utterly insane.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Un effing believable.

Ebay is ALREADY taking out almost 11% of ALL the money I take in with their fees + the paypal racket, now the jack the rates up even more? And on top of that, reduce buyer responsibility to almost zero??? Wow. It's infuriating

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to leave negative feedback for absolutely everything I buy. Forever. No matter what.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Guy from Shanghai
The great risk is NOT from deadbeats. Sellers won't ship before they actually receive the money. Worst case is losing the insertion fee should buyer do not pay.

At least with the old eBay feedback system, a seller can lookup a buyer's feedback to see there is any charge back/scam activities/patterns. That is the real scary part for sellers.

The new ebay feedback system is utterly insane.

I suppose you can still look at a buyers' Feedbacks Left and read sellers' responses to negative ones.

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose you can still look at a buyers' Feedbacks Left and read sellers' responses to negative ones.

If a buyer is a scammer, why he would bother to leave any feedbacks, thus leaving him/her exposed to sellers' side of stories. Most scammers are not that dumb.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Another fun fact:

A DSR rating of 4.5 stars out of 5 for the previous 30 days will be required to maintain powerseller status. I currently have a DSR of 4.6 out of 5, and that is with a modicum of buyer accountability still in place. I've been a powerseller for 8 years. Under the new system a handful of rogue buyers, or even a few dudes having bad days could easily cost me my powerseller status 3-4 months out of the year, which means NO realtime customer service from ebay. Not to mention higher selling fees and last-in-line search placement.

Let me put it this way. Say you are leaving feedback for a seller after recieving your item. You give him four out of five stars across the board. Sounds like you are fairly happy with the transaction. Except under the ebay's new DSR requirements, you are endangering that sellers business. 4 out of 5 is not even close to good enough.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads