• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: Murder Ave Ties (US-based E.G. Cappelli stockist)

inviscid

Reaction score
http://murderave.tumblr.com/

Decided this shop warranted its own thread. Ordered a sky blue grenadine tie on Saturday, and I received it today. Granted it was in-state (and the shop's current packaging isn't the prettiest) the service was surprisingly responsive and they shipped it using overnight service.

Honestly wasn't cheaper than ordering directly from Italy, but I also didn't have to fill a tie order of 5 to comp shipping costs. The icing on the cake is that it got shipped within the country and I didn't have to deal with customs on this.

I'll post some pictures tonight when I get back home.

Regarding the PSA- the shop is running a promotion for purchasing before the storefront is up. There is a post about it on the blog, but the gist was early access to sales. Neat perk- looking forward to seeing what the prices will be during sales.

The second point regarding the PSA- I've been speaking to the shop owner and he mentioned that this is a tentative venture and is using this phase to gauge interest to see if it will be worth the effort. I'm spreading the word so that my club membership perks pan out!

*I was not compensated in any way for this post beyond the fact that I want my early customer perks (which are currently available to all) to be realized.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://murderave.tumblr.com/

Decided this shop warranted its own thread. Ordered a sky blue grenadine tie on Saturday, and I received it today. Granted it was in-state (and the shop's current packaging isn't the prettiest) the service was surprisingly responsive and they shipped it using overnight service.

Honestly wasn't cheaper than ordering directly from Italy, but I also didn't have to fill a tie order of 5 to comp shipping costs. The icing on the cake is that it got shipped within the country and I didn't have to deal with customs on this.

I'll post some pictures tonight when I get back home.

Regarding the PSA- the shop is running a promotion for purchasing before the storefront is up. There is a post about it on the blog, but the gist was early access to sales. Neat perk- looking forward to seeing what the prices will be during sales.

The second point regarding the PSA- I've been speaking to the shop owner and he mentioned that this is a tentative venture and is using this phase to gauge interest to see if it will be worth the effort. I'm spreading the word so that my club membership perks pan out!

*I was not compensated in any way for this post beyond the fact that I want my early customer perks (which are currently available to all) to be realized.

Damn, they look nice. If I had $110 to drop I'd be all over it.

NoCleverName

Reaction score
Ordered a green grenadine a couple days ago based on the post in the E.G. Cappelli thread here, tie was shipped today I believe. Seems like a good deal not having to deal with customs. Only complaint is that it's a little hard to tell what they're offering/what's in stock but that's really just a function of not having a storefront yet. I was going to order a bunch of ties directly from Cappelli, but it's a fair amount of cash to plunk down to get free shipping so this will whet my appetite in the meantime.

inviscid

Reaction score

Color is closer to the second picture. Extremely vibrant blue, and the grenadine is the most substantial I've handled so far. Honestly is my first lighter-shade tie, and I'm confused what to pair it with... 75% of my shirt closet is actually this shade of blue.

I'll probably wear this when I wear my white shirts.

This is my first Cappelli grenadine, and it feels more substantial than my J. Press grenadines. Ties a great FIH with the dimple that easily comes from all of my Cappellis - will post pictures when my proper camera is charged.

E.G. Cappelli is slowly taking over my tie collection share. I can easily see them being the only ties I wear...

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered two ties, the navy grenadine (filling a hole in my wardrobe with that one) and the silver twill. I had been looking at an order from Cappelli's own site, but was a bit hesitant to buy enough to save the shipping. I have a couple of Cappelli ties and 3 pocket squares that I got from Exquisite Trimmings and they are fantastic, so I'm sort of excited to have a vendor nearby.

inviscid

Reaction score
^ Pics of the silver twill worn when it comes in, please. Was on the fence between that and the grenadine I had ordered and couldn't really picture either in my head. May have to put in an order for that one next.

NoCleverName

Reaction score
Received the green grenadine. It looks great, more similar to my Hober grenadines than my Kent Wang grenadines (which are 6-fold). They ship quick from Murder Ave, customer service is really good. After I ordered the first one I actually put in an order for the navy print, which I'm especially excited about.

inviscid

Reaction score
just got an update from the shop that they set up a beta shop at www.murderavenue.com

still on the fence about which printed twill to go for - have you guys received your ties yet? worn pictures or knotted pictures would help decide. not sure if i should play it safe and go with another navy tie or if i should try the silver

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, I got mine today. Both are about 3 3/8" or so at the widest. The navy grenadine is a fina and is maybe a touch brighter blue that I would usually associate with "navy", but I mean that positively as it's really an attractive and versatile tie. The silver printed twill is a dark bluish silver that could pair with just about any navy or charcoal suit. Very happy with both purchases and will definitely keep an eye out for their future offerings.

(Sorry inviscid, no pics worn yet but the silver is a really nice color)

NoCleverName

Reaction score
Yeah, I've gotten the navy printed which I really like. The little flower patterns are actually two very slightly different shades of blue. I've also gotten a green grenadine which I really like and I've ordered the light blue grenadine in light of MurderAve donating $10 to a charity for the Boston marathon. All great quality, the navy print ties a beautiful knot, although it's fairly stiff so it takes a little bit of wrangling at first to get it there. I'm a huge fan of the prints though, they tie a superior knot to the Drake's that I own. Murder Ave's customer service has been exemplary as well, they're always very responsive and they get the ties out really quick.

Last edited:

inviscid

Reaction score
Got that newsletter as well. I notice with my Cappelli printed twill that they need to be coaxed into a dimple the first few times and then the rigidity of the tie loosens up in the dimple shape. I don't even need to form a dimple on them anymore - they just dimple when I pull the long end through.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads