1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

PSA - Grenson Masterpiece and Gravati Blowout

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ThinkDerm, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Saenek

Saenek Senior member

If I wasn't a broke ass new home owner, maybe - haha. I also work at an engineering company in Texas so even wearing Loakes is comparable to over dressing.

I compared the churchills to a pair of Radleys from the Rose line that I have had for a couple years - the shoes are very, very similar visually - medallion and brogue-ing is literally identical, but he lasts are slightly different and the Churchill's are on a completely different planet as far as leather quality and finishing.

2. PL92106

PL92106 Senior member

Guessing if you're normally an E, they probably won't fit out of the gate as the 96 last (Adelaide) is supposed to run narrow particularly in the toe box, but as ThinkD said, you can try to get them stretched. On the slightly wider 91 last (Churchill) I'm an exact 8.5D and with the perfect amount of toe room. When I got the Churchills they seemed slightly snug in the throat, but stretched to fit perfectly after one wear. Might work out for you - good luck. Never actually tried the 96, but I ordered an upsized 9D - waiting eagerly for them to show up. If it doesn't work out I'll be putting them up here.

Looking forward to what's in the next shipment Ron!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  3. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Anxiously awaiting update :slayer:

4. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Now would be a good time to enquire about fit

The croc loafers seem to run half a size large.

How about the Churchills?

5. Kauai

Kauai Senior member

I received my Paul Stuart a.k.a. Grenson Masterpiece double monks in cognac museum calf. This could be the best $169 I've spent on shoes! Like others have commented I should have considered buying everything in my size, but alas I was unsure of the fit. I find that I tend to wear 10.5 in finer shoes, especially loafer or monks. I think this results from a combination of better last shapes for my foot and quality leather that molds to the foot a bit. After a full day of wear, I can say these monks were no exception and fit great. The fit quality and construction of the shoe is great and I would highly recommend to others. If I get a chance this weekend, I will post some comparison photos of my JL Welham's in museum calf versus the PS Grensons. My quick take is that JL's seem to have a wider range of light to dark tones, have more refined stiching and take a better shine; Despite all that, I still really like the Grensons and expect they will get a lot of wear. I think it is safe to say I will be an aggressive buyer in round 2 of the sale. :)

I also have a pair of size 11 alligators coming today if they do run 1/2 size large I might be on the look out for any one selling a size 10 they picked up at the sale.

Also thanks Ron/ThinkDerm for the great sale and timely PSA!

6. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

those were a nice pick up on your end. If you like the styling (not my cup of tea broguing wise), you could not do better for $169.

7. PL92106

PL92106 Senior member

As I posted before, IME TTS for US D width for the Churchills. Slightly snug in the throat but in a perfect way for my tastes. They stretched slightly and fit like a pair of driving gloves. Plenty of room in the toe box. Have become my new favorites over the few weeks of wearing them. Can't wait to get more SC/GMP.

8. SnarlPatrick

SnarlPatrick Senior member

I got my white bucks the other day. Just beautiful. (Thanks Ron!) I have to admit though... I'm scared to wear them. What is the consensus on protective sprays/coatings on suede/nubuck? Is there anything out there that will make them harder to stain, without ruining the texture?

9. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Thanks, Thinkderm! Just got a pair of those fine spectators. I haven't owned shoes by Grenson before, so this parcel is eagerly anticipated.

10. countbaron

countbaron Senior member

Is this an open thread, i.e., can I post something that is not like: "Thanks Ron, great quality/ deal/service etc Ron"- or is this an out of bounds/sponsored thread- i.e 'all things Ron' are sacred in this forum?

Just checking in case I may step out of line here

11. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

By all means, fire away!

I had nothing to do with starting this thread, nor am I even sure exactly who ThinkDerm is (although I like him), so no cheerleading here.

Wouldn't be much of a forum if people who have some negative experience don't post it as well as those that have a good one.

What's up?

12. kev777

kev777 Senior member

I'm getting the feeling Countbaron has some "issues" he may want to see a professional about :dozingoff:

13. SnarlPatrick

SnarlPatrick Senior member

Alright! How do you respond to allegations that you made a pair of bespoke tassled loafers out of baby seal leather for a shady middle eastern businessman with ties to al-qaeda? This is an outrage! AN OUTRAGE!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  14. darinaldi

darinaldi Member

You are correct. I wore the spectators for the first time this morning to brunch with some friends, and when I first put them on the toe box was uncomfortably tight. It did stretch out over the course of the meal and was tolerable for the rest of the time I had them on, but still narrow. I plan on wearing them one more time and if they're still snug I'll take them to a cobbler to be stretched.

However, both the waitress in the restaurant and three people on the street actually stopped me to compliment my shoes, which is a first for me. :happy:

x eleventybillion

15. Kauai

Kauai Senior member

[​IMG][ATTACHMENT=253]
    IMG_4724.JPG (285k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]
    [ATTACHMENT=254]IMG_4723.JPG (300k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Some photos of the double monks in cognac museum calf versus John Lobb Welham in chestnut museum calf for those who are curious

16. Kauai

Kauai Senior member

[ATTACHMENT=255]IMG_4732.JPG (333k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT][ATTACHMENT=257]IMG_4728.JPG (354k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT][ATTACHMENT=258]IMG_4729.JPG (299k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

I think a few people were curious to get photos and fit on the crocodile loafers. I have only tried on this pair and not worn them so take my fit comments with a grain of salt. These seem slightly large for an 11D, not sure I would say they are a full half size larger. As you would expect from matte vs shiny finish these are very supple and seem like they will easily conform to your foot. That said there doesn't seem to be much effort to really align the croc patterns around tricky spots like the split toe. Spoo has a pair of crocs for sale where there is a book matched effect around the split toe which IMHO is nicer. All that said, if they fit I'm keeping the Moreschis!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  17. Fred H.

Fred H. Senior member

Oh damn are these fine. A little tight in the vamp. (I'm generally a 13 D/E.) Can't decide yet what to do. But OMG these are nice for $99! (BNIB.)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  18. Hornswaggler

Hornswaggler Well-Known Member

:slayer:

What are the odds that they run a little small?

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

they run .25-.5 sizes larger than tagged. I would have picked up the last pair had it been a 11.5. For reference I'm a tts 12D

20. BlueHorseShoe

BlueHorseShoe Senior member

Would agree with the crocs being a bit loose. Have a pair of 11's that I would consider passing along to someone else (11.5 prob). If not, I'll keep them and enjoy the air circulation.