• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: Good Deals at STP

Lawman

Reaction score
It has been a long time since I saw anything worthwhile at STP, but there are some pretty fine deals to be had there right now, especially with the 25% coupon floating around. Lots of Isaia suits and jackets at good prices and fair variety in sizes.

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
too bad the coupon excludes the barn

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd give a couple of those a try if I could use a 20% or 25% off on those prices. STP keeps getting smarter.

BrooklynWeGoHard

Reaction score
after it was exposed that stacking of a super cheap item could result in 50% off on a much more expensive item and publicized to the forum, STP took a bath and now does not allow stacking really much anymore.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrooklynWeGoHard
after it was exposed that stacking of a super cheap item could result in 50% off on a much more expensive item and publicized to the forum, STP took a bath and now does not allow stacking really much anymore.

Wasn't that the whole gimmick of the promotion? Buy one item and get a more expensive one half off?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use the myshoppingnotes.com website to monitor prices at STP, and the rise and fall on some items is pretty comical. I believe they have a minimum price for any given item (maybe 30% of their MSRP - depends on the item) and you can get that one week in six. Sometimes the base price is down low and 15% gets you there, other times the price is higher and 25% gets you there. Etc. etc. Even with the spectacular 50% off the second item sale, the prices were not so insane because they had jacked up all the prices in advance. The price on the same sport coat, for example, might range from $444 to $895 depending on the current sale and the availability of coupon codes.

A sport coat with a MSRP of $1100, for example, you might get for about $350. Either it's 30% (by stacking coupons) off $495 or 50% off $695 or 20% off $444.

If you watch a few items like a hawk and monitor the dealflyer coupons closely, you'll find that the price on an item gets down to a lower barrier repeatedly & never falls through to some crazy low price until there is maybe a few specimens left in an odd sizes.

So I don't think they get beat so much as some people think. In fact, I bet they do pretty well when the "feeding frenzy" psychology grips the forum. The customers do pretty well too.

The way to get the lowest possible price is to wait until they are down to only a few items in odd sizes. If you have a standard size -- say 40R or a 9 1/2 shoe -- the deals are never going to be as great as they will be for people with rarer sizes.

BrooklynWeGoHard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Wasn't that the whole gimmick of the promotion? Buy one item and get a more expensive one half off?

but not to buy fishing wire for 30 cents and then buy an isaia suit for $500 and get the isaia suit for $250. That was not their intent.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrooklynWeGoHard
but not to buy fishing wire for 30 cents and then buy an isaia suit for $500 and get the isaia suit for $250. That was not their intent.

I don't have much sympathy if they didn't see that happening. It's the obvious outcome. Didn't the half-off special apply on certain items? I'm assuming they were willing to sell those items at half price, regardless of what else was purchased.

I picked up a Corneliani shirt at that sale, and, as Dewey notes, didn't save that much off previous STP sale prices.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wonder why there are never any smaller sizes at STP. In the 5 or so years of checking, I don't think I've ever seen a worthy 36 suit or jacket come up. The Isaias are usually 40+ R or L.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ STP is based in the western US, where men are big

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That notion had crossed my mind.
laugh.gif

BrooklynWeGoHard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
I use the myshoppingnotes.com website to monitor prices at STP, and the rise and fall on some items is pretty comical. I believe they have a minimum price for any given item (maybe 30% of their MSRP - depends on the item) and you can get that one week in six. Sometimes the base price is down low and 15% gets you there, other times the price is higher and 25% gets you there. Etc. etc. Even with the spectacular 50% off the second item sale, the prices were not so insane because they had jacked up all the prices in advance. The price on the same sport coat, for example, might range from $444 to $895 depending on the current sale and the availability of coupon codes.

A sport coat with a MSRP of $1100, for example, you might get for about $350. Either it's 30% (by stacking coupons) off $495 or 50% off $695 or 20% off $444.

If you watch a few items like a hawk and monitor the dealflyer coupons closely, you'll find that the price on an item gets down to a lower barrier repeatedly & never falls through to some crazy low price until there is maybe a few specimens left in an odd sizes.

So I don't think they get beat so much as some people think. In fact, I bet they do pretty well when the "feeding frenzy" psychology grips the forum. The customers do pretty well too.

The way to get the lowest possible price is to wait until they are down to only a few items in odd sizes. If you have a standard size -- say 40R or a 9 1/2 shoe -- the deals are never going to be as great as they will be for people with rarer sizes.

yes and no. I've seen some things fall through this "barrier" even though i'm still waiting for some things to really just go on super clearance. You've got to wait for something to go on super clearance and bargain barn or whatever the hell they call it, and then combine it with a few codes. I've scored samuelsohn suits for under $300, corneliani for about $315 and i've been able to price samuelsohn sport coats down to about $99 to 120, which is way above what they go for otherwise on the site, even with discounts. They do flucuate the prices of items frequently, a sneaky move indeed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads