• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA for Seattle folks - nice new store downtown called Jack Straw Filaments

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was finally able to stop into a new store that opened up downtown on 1st called Jack Straw Filaments. The owner seems pretty cool (think his name was John) and he's made some small but really good and focused buys from yohji, number nine, dries, cdg, vintage 55, and a number of other lines. There's also some really great suiting, shirts, and ties out of Naples. I'll have to stop back in soon to pick up some of the Inis Meain knits that he's also carrying.

Address is 1117 First Ave. and is next to that nice dress store and near where Riveted used to be.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, this is worth checking out, just to finally feel and see some pieces in person.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the heads up robin, will check out next week!

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Jack Straw is just on the next block from our place. It's nice to have another men's shop in the area. Its been lonely at this end of town since Lex closed (Riveted). It is 2 doors down from Riveted's old home, next to A Mano (shoe store.)

I met John as well. He is a long time Mario's buyer and floor manager. He is good. Their sizing is on the larger size and cater to an older client base, didn't notice anything smaller that a size 3, but could be wrong. Issey and Yohji they didn't carry in my size, size 3. CDG, N9, and Darkshadow were in my size. Impressive place and nice layout.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I will have to check them out on my next visit down from BC.

Incidentally, is there any particular story behind Riveted's closing? I'd been meaning to go for a year, but when I finally made it to the area in July, it was shuttered.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
Incidentally, is there any particular story behind Riveted's closing? I'd been meaning to go for a year, but when I finally made it to the area in July, it was shuttered.
A water main broke in the condos above the store and flooded the entire place, everything was essentially destroyed.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shyte! What an awful situation. Hopefully they resurface somewhere (it sounds like some of you know the proprietor).

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I so wish I still lived in Seattle, I miss that place. Too bad about Riveted. I only stopped in there once while I was living there but it was a nice place with some friendly (and attractive) staff. Maybe once of these days I'll take some vacation time and go back for a visit.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I saw the ad a little bit ago (in The Stranger, I believe)

Pointed it out to J.

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
Shyte! What an awful situation. Hopefully they resurface somewhere (it sounds like some of you know the proprietor).

Lex, owner of Riveted, is planning a restaurant now. Doesn't look like Riveted will be back. But we are working to fill a little of the void left behind. We are adding a lot more denim come spring.

Originally Posted by robin
A water main broke in the condos above the store and flooded the entire place, everything was essentially destroyed.

This was a funny story, in a sad kind of way but everything has seemed to work out. Someone was secretly moving in the middle of the night, the unit directly above Riveted. They were moving a bed and knocked off a sprinkler head. Water was flowing for over an hour before Lex got a call about 3am. By the time he got to the store, there was over 6" of standing water over the entire place which is about 2,600 sq ft. water dripping from the ceiling and down the walls and ruined their entire inventory. It happened around late October and they just couldn't turn around and open before Christmas.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Atsui
This was a funny story, in a sad kind of way but everything has seemed to work out.
And it's a good reminder for you shop owners to keep up on your insurance.
smile.gif

I always kind of feel bad for shops that I see move into the spaces below those old condos on that block though, like as if don't know what they're getting into. Cicada has had to close more than a few times due to water leaks as well.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Forgot to update this thread earlier, but I stopped in again a few weeks ago to check out his spring buys and he did a pretty good job again with his selection. He picked up Ann D as well, along with some really nice Italian made leather bags.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Forgot to update this thread earlier, but I stopped in again a few weeks ago to check out his spring buys and he did a pretty good job again with his selection. He picked up Ann D as well, along with some really nice Italian made leather bags.

The bags are from a company called "Number 10" which I've never heard of before. Some really good Dries van Noten as well, including a great, minimalistic belt made of really nice leather with an interesting, but basic, buckle treatment. Unfortunately, I am maxed out on my $300 belt limit right now. If I had a little more money, and was inclined towards a little less denim, I would definitely pick up some good stuff there.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great store. Between this Blackbird and Atsui I'm tempted to move there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads