• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: Dacks store closing, downtown toronto, Ottawa

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just stopped into the Yonge and Adelaide store. Everything is 40% of the last marked price. Apart from all the irrelevant stuff like Bostonian, they still carry the Dack's brand (made by Cheaney?) and Church's.

As others have noted on this forum, the Dack's branded shoes are pretty damn clunky looking--even moreso than AEs. By Toronto standards, they're a good deal at 40% off $300-$400. By the standards of any other civilized corner of the world, don't bother.

Some of the Church's looked alright. The selection was limited to about 10 styles/colours, with the expected basic oxfords, bluchers, monk straps. A brown cap toe caught my eye, marked down from $700 to $300. If anyone is a 12B, go have a look--that's the only size left.

wetnose

Reaction score
They have a pair of burgundy longwings that have tank treads for soles...shoe weighs like a brick!

Nexus6

Reaction score
For those prices you can't go wrong tho!!
Square One Dack's is also having the same sale.

In fact..the entire mall is filled with 50% or more sales.
It's like a mass panic.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I just stopped by the Yonge and King shop today and walked out for the same reason I did the last and only time I ever went there... what the hell? There's barely any selection to speak of in terms of anything nice and the prices are just way out of whack! I did see a few pretty nice pairs of various shoes like double soled onces, some tassled moccasins, etc.. OK, so there were a few decent shoes, the Churches and Dack's house brand, a few rather nice ones even, but asking $400-700 retail, and your "we're going out of business and liquidating all our stock" sale is 25%?. What am I supposed to do with that? Are they saving the really good deals for... when they go out of business or something? In short, if you're willing to pay $300-400 to get some decent stuff because you have no access to anything else, then sure, I geuss there's some stuff to look at. There were a few nice Johnston and Murphy's and other stuff along with plenty of crappy Rockports and Mephistos and such. Anyway, I think they're overpriced and the selection sucks and there's no atmosphere whatsoever, so I walked out shaking my head as usual. I suppose if I had an extra few hundred and really loved their house brand or churches i'd have splurged, but I was expecting to buy stuff I don't need at a price i couldn't refuse. Somebody please PM me when their prices drop substantially...

wetnose

Reaction score
MC....your sentiments are exactly why Dack's went out of business. High prices, poor selection.... management belonged to the 70s. Meanwhile the Aldo store in First Canadian Place is always busy....

ersatzmoe

Reaction score
Just a side point, Stonehouse recently announced bankruptcy and will likely have pretty heavy sales.

Chargersfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ersatzmoe
Just a side point, Stonehouse recently announced bankruptcy and will likely have pretty heavy sales.

Cool! That should mean they'll have 25% off their $400, crappily made, eurogarbage shirts!!! I am warming up the Visa as we speak
rolleyes.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ I went past the Yorkdale branch and also wasn't overly impressed with their stuff. They carry a few interesting brands like Tiger of Sweden, Sand, etc but again, the prices?! Companies like "Sand" are asking $200+ for a button-up shirt? Even at their 25-5-% off I'd be better going to Bananna Republic or something. Man am I just in a bitchy mood or what. sigh

pnin22

Reaction score
Was in Stonehouse in Eaton Center today: Some nice suits by Sand, Tiger of Sweden and Strellson, all priced 50% off for about $300-450. Sizes 38short/reg and up, although I didn't find anything that fit me (38 shoulder but slim cut). All shirting is 50-60% off. Sale continues past boxing day.

AB01

Reaction score
What's better than Stonehouse? I picked up some overpriced casual pants for 50% off. Prices are high there, but the brands are somewhat modern and fitted. Where else can I find these brands like Sand in Toronto.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AB01
What's better than Stonehouse? I picked up some overpriced casual pants for 50% off. Prices are high there, but the brands are somewhat modern and fitted. Where else can I find these brands like Sand in Toronto.

Theodore 1922 carries are wide variety of Sand but it's very expensive for what it is. Service is excellent and I believe free alterations. It's a nice little place in the Annex on Bloor.

AB01

Reaction score
Thank you. I'll be sure to check them out. I will visit them and GotStyle (which also has Sand) for the first time too.
Some of the other men's shops seem to be dedicating 50% of their store space to Hugo Boss when there are much better things out there.
Ten at Bayview Village Mall is not bad, but mostly casual/clubbing which I don't think is for me.

pnin22

Reaction score
I've seen the Sand suits in Gotstyle, and they are delicious. However they are quite expensive: $800-1200 in November. I picked up a Sand trim fit jacket at Tom's that was a sample sale for $150 -- be sure to check them out, there may be the odd suit/jacket in your size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads