• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: Avoid using Clifford Roberts

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back in September 2010, I placed an order for balmoral boots from Mr. Roberts with a 100 pound deposit. Come March 2011, he created the wrong pair of boots and offered to remake them, taking note to his mistake and reiterating his understanding of what I wanted. Then in Septemberr 2011 after numerous e-mails he responded that the closers still had the boots since the pair they made weren't "perfect" and he only accepted the best from his closers. Finally in October he said the boots were ready to ship and that I should send the remaining balance via paypal. Just to be sure, I asked for pictures and interestingly enough he made the EXACT SAME MISTAKE again, even after reiterating that he understood the changes that needed to be made to the patterns. He offered a refund and at that point I accepted one, only he said I would have to wait 21 days to receive it. That was on Nov. 1 and it is now January 2012 and still waiting, no responses to several e-mail and to be honest I'm quite disappointed in this man's behavior. If he is trying to establish a good reputation for his new business, he is not off to a good start. So to save yourself the headache, avoid using Cliff Roberts.

UPDATE: Refund received on 1/12/2012, the saga has finally ended

Last edited:

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that I condone his behaviour, but he has produced some wonderful shoes for other members without any problem.

Threadhead

Reaction score
Maybe he is going into business with Jason Amesbury!

Last edited:

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of shoes from Cliff and was happy with them.

I ordered another pair early last year and have still not received them. I have not paid a deposit, presumably as an existing customer, so have not lost anything. I know in the middle of last year he was involved with a start-up shoe company Clarence Clifford which delayed his orders but I understand he is no longer with them.

I do hope he gets things sorted as shoes made by him were an interesting alternative to the normal makers.

clintonf

Reaction score
I do hope he gets things sorted as shoes made by him were an interesting alternative to the normal makers.

+1, I've not purchased from him in a few years, but I have always meant to have another pair commissioned.

I hope all is well with him and that there is an adequate explanation for the issue mentioned above.

Mushroom

Reaction score
I took delivery of a pair of shoes from him just before xmas. No problems. He took no longer for my shoes than my experiences with the trather more costly west end makers. The shoes are also more comfortable on first fitting. I intend to use him again.

gracian

Reaction score
That's too bad. I have two pairs of shoes from him which I'm quite pleased with. Though, his turn around on the last pair was almost a year.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ would also be interested in finding out. Clifford finally responded to my inquiry. Initial email was sent 2 months ago

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sent him pictures of a pair he made from the "my balmoral boots" thread and told him to copy them, first pair had "incomplete" brogueing along the throat that just stopped before reaching the balmoral line, leaving a gap that just looked strange, then after noting the error and telling me he was going to change the pattern, the second pair turned out to have the same problem. His lack of communication, my wait of more than a year without a positive outcome, and the lack of a prompt apology for the inconvenience and a refund thereafter is what disappointed me, not the mistake he made on the boots. I think a merchant should for the sake of their reputation put a customers satisfaction on top of their list of priorities

Last edited:

Northampton Novice

Reaction score

I think a merchant should for the sake of their reputation put a customers satisfaction on top of their list of priorities

So true.

I had three pairs made by Cliff, his communication was satisfactory, the shoes he made were splendid.

Asian Afro

Reaction score
Received an e-mail from Roberts a couple days ago to tell me that my shoes were ready. The order took longer than I expected (over six months), but I got the impression from the occasional message that he was busy with a business venture.

He missed a detail that I asked for, so he offered a discount. I'm actually fine with the way the shoes look.

I didn't get the impression that Roberts was not concerned with the satifaction of his customers. He might not have kept me in the loop when the shoes were delayed, but he did reply to my e-mails.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when do we get to see pictures of theses said shoes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads