• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PRPS Denim - Any Opinions?

andrewlef

Reaction score
Bought a pair of Barracuda's in 30" waist. They supposedly have a 34" inseam, but it fits more like a 30 - 31" inseam. Found this info on the tags:

Car Inspired Fits (PRPS Goods & Co.)
Barracuda: Low front ride, straight leg regular fit. Leg opening 17"
Duster: Mid rise, straight leg regular fit. Leg opening 16"
Rambler: Low front rise, slim fit, leg opening 15"
Valiant: Dropped crotch, tappered leg, leg opening 14"
Demon: Slim fit, mid rise, leg opening 16"

Now, if only I could figure out how PRPS Noir fit. I'd like to buy some online, but don't want to take the chance on a $400-$800 pair of jeans.

tokyocean

Reaction score
I first discovered PRPS at Nordstrom. The sales associate suggested them to me, so I decided to try them on. They were too narrow-fitting for my taste, so I decided against them. However, maybe it was only due to the fit. I have now begun to develop a strong taste for PRPS denim. I'm currently awaiting a pair. I guess it has a been a while since anyone talked about PRPS jeans on here, so I figured it would be a good idea to bump this thread.

Does anyone have PRPS jeans in the Fury fit?

tokyocean

Reaction score
I love PRPS. If anything, PRPS and Naked & Famous are my two favorite denim brands at the moment. PRPS is pricey, but the jeans are generally great. The Fury is my fit since I love the tapered look. A lot of people seem to just like a straight or slim straight look, however. I don't know why the tapered fit isn't as popular.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PRPS denim is very nice, I guess it doesn't get a lot of love in here or SuFu because of some of their extreme washes and also in most cases they don't have a classic design (folded back pockets).

I own several pairs, a couple of prewashed GTOs that I don't really wear anymore (they are kind of curved bootcut) and a raw Barracuda that I've just retired after two years (year and a half of constant wear) due to crotch blowout.

That one was my first pair of raw denim and I was pretty happy with it, the things I didn't like were that it was a straight cut (I would have preferred a pair of Ramblers or Fury), that it was quite lightweight and also that the indigo was not very dark to begin with. I've bought a pair of Unbranded 21oz tapered trying to avoid those things even if the denim is not as nice, I was not willing to spend a lot of money on another pair of jeans right now.

I think PRPS makes probably some of the best predistressed jeans. RRL, too. Dior was pretty disappointing, although most people would agree their main selling point is the cut, not the denim. As you probably know the cult japanese brands don't really make predistressed jeans, with a few exceptions (I think 45rpm has some, too).

Be careful with your PRPS purchases, as now they have several lines and not all of them are of the same quality. They used to be made in Japan only but now they have lots of jeans made in China, and some made in the US, too (although the denim is japanese in all cases, I believe). RRL now are using american made denim rather than japanese, too.

tokyocean

Reaction score
PRPS denim is very nice, I guess it doesn't get a lot of love in here or SuFu because of some of their extreme washes and also in most cases they don't have a classic design (folded back pockets).

I own several pairs, a couple of prewashed GTOs that I don't really wear anymore (they are kind of curved bootcut) and a raw Barracuda that I've just retired after two years (year and a half of constant wear) due to crotch blowout.

That one was my first pair of raw denim and I was pretty happy with it, the things I didn't like were that it was a straight cut (I would have preferred a pair of Ramblers or Fury), that it was quite lightweight and also that the indigo was not very dark to begin with. I've bought a pair of Unbranded 21oz tapered trying to avoid those things even if the denim is not as nice, I was not willing to spend a lot of money on another pair of jeans right now.

I think PRPS makes probably some of the best predistressed jeans. RRL, too. Dior was pretty disappointing, although most people would agree their main selling point is the cut, not the denim. As you probably know the cult japanese brands don't really make predistressed jeans, with a few exceptions (I think 45rpm has some, too).

Be careful with your PRPS purchases, as now they have several lines and not all of them are of the same quality. They used to be made in Japan only but now they have lots of jeans made in China, and some made in the US, too (although the denim is japanese in all cases, I believe). RRL now are using american made denim rather than japanese, too.
Yes, the predistressing can be too extreme at times, but that's a look some people would go for. I'm expecting the arrival of a new pair of PRPS raw denim on Friday. Hopefully, the quality isn't that bad even if it's not exactly high-end PRPS. I guess it's all trial-and-error.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the predistressing can be too extreme at times, but that's a look some people would go for. I'm expecting the arrival of a new pair of PRPS raw denim on Friday. Hopefully, the quality isn't that bad even if it's not exactly high-end PRPS. I guess it's all trial-and-error.

Even if they are made in China (the lowest quality -and most common nowadays- PRPS line) the denim for all PRPS should be produced in Japan from Zimbabwean cotton, unless things have changed recently.

I'd be more worried about workers welfare than quality, but I've read interviews with Donwan Harrell, the guy behind PRPS, and he seemed concerned about those topics and he said he made sure everyone gets a fair salary, from the Zimbabwe cotton farmers to the people producing the denim in Japan. Made in China doesn't necessarily mean of inferior quality anyway... hell, iPhones are produced there.

Last edited:

sharperaspects

Reaction score
I see this thread has been quiet for awhile but I thought I'd jump in and see if I could wake the PRPS dialog up again.
Just recently got a pair of PRPS jeans that are amazing! They are an army green Colour and I honestly don't know the Model of denim they are ...the tag says sample. And there's another tag that has handwritten serial numbers etc as well as the model name they were attempting (I assume) called olive denim. Can anyone help me identify them or maybe become more familiar with that process even? I have a PRPS shirt as well that says Sample in red marker on the back inside coller and then has an Un sewn pocket attached both the tag and more Handwritten info that I don't understand.
Anyway they are awesome looking clothes and the quality is immediately apparent when you put them on

Toshiro

Reaction score
I see this thread has been quiet for awhile but I thought I'd jump in and see if I could wake the PRPS dialog up again.
Just recently got a pair of PRPS jeans that are amazing! They are an army green Colour and I honestly don't know the Model of denim they are ...the tag says sample. And there's another tag that has handwritten serial numbers etc as well as the model name they were attempting (I assume) called olive denim. Can anyone help me identify them or maybe become more familiar with that process even? I have a PRPS shirt as well that says Sample in red marker on the back inside coller and then has an Un sewn pocket attached both the tag and more Handwritten info that I don't understand.
Anyway they are awesome looking clothes and the quality is immediately apparent when you put them on
Wish I could help .. I’m just getting into PRPS denims. There’s a denim store that I discovered them in and bought my first pair of Jean shorts. Pricey but I like the way they fit . Tired off all these stretch jeans . Just ordered some Demon -Refresh denims on sale . I hope they fit well. PRPS has a good sale on , on their site

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads