• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Protein supplements

fatherseanfan

Reaction score
I am trying to bulk up and was told to start drinking protein shakes because eating more protein can help muscle growth. I have been drinking the shakes and I hate them. The power tastes like crap and I nearly vomit when I drink it. Is there any other way to ingest large quantities of protein that doesn't involve making a drink with powder? I am assuming that just eating a lot of nuts, egg whites and meat wouldn't cut it ... or would it?

v0rtex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fatherseanfan
The power tastes like crap and I nearly vomit when I drink it.
If you mix it properly in a blender you can add all sorts of other things to the mix to mask the taste. I used to add in a bit of icecream, fresh fruit, egg whites, fresh cream, etc and eventually I found a combination which tasted pretty good. Also, add an extra 5% powder/milk and you can leave the bottom of the glass where all the sediment ends up (although the sediment is technically the best bit for you, being protein and all).
Originally Posted by fatherseanfan
I am assuming that just eating a lot of nuts, egg whites and meat wouldn't cut it ... or would it?
Technically yes, protein is protein. But that's a lot of nuts/egg whites/meat...

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
What brand of protein are you using. You may want to check the forums on Bodybuilding.com for more info on what powders have a better taste.

I personally find Muscle Milk to be the best tasting, but it is somewhat expensive.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you don't want powder, chicken breasts and tuna are the way to go.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
tuna is excellent and cheap. milk is supposed to be good, but I can't drink it, so I can't say. but I have personal knowledge of tuna.

tsloop

Reaction score
I'd go with Optiumum Nutrition's double chocolate protein powder, if you mix it with milk it tastes just like chocolate milk, it's great, I can't even count how many tubs I've gone through.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Eggs are the best, most useable protein. You can eat fewer eggs and be better off than if you were drinking tons of whey. The whey protein doesn't stick around in your system, so what your body cannot absorb immediately is lost. Here is a trick, you can make the whey more slow digesting though by taking it with flaxseed oil. Since you don't like the shakes anyway, it's not an issue though. Just eat eggs and tuna. Flaxseed oil is a great supplement too for bodybuilding in general.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Eggs are the best, most useable protein. You can eat fewer eggs and be better off than if you were drinking tons of whey. The whey protein doesn't stick around in your system, so what your body cannot absorb immediately is lost. Here is a trick, you can make the whey more slow digesting though by taking it with flaxseed oil. Since you don't like the shakes anyway, it's not an issue though. Just eat eggs and tuna. Flaxseed oil is a great supplement too for bodybuilding in general.

The problem is that eggs and tuna aren't nearly as convenient as a preotein shake.

I have tried Optimum Nutrition and it is pretty good, but the best I have had is Muscle Milk by Cyto Sport. I'm hooked on it.

kever

Reaction score
I like optimum nutrition as well. The chocolate one is a bit better then the vanilla, but the vanilla has a lot of calcium, which is why I used to opt for it. I'm not sure when you take it, but I usually only took it after I worked out, and the body needs a huge supply of calories and quick digesting carbs after working out, so I switched to a weight gainer powder. Because it's sweetened I find that it tastes a bit better than regular protien powder(albeit very sweet).
...Back to your question:
For a protien powder, optimum nutrition and a good shaker cup worked well for me.
And yes, you can get your daily protein needs from regular food. Eggs, whole grain bread, pasta, milk, meat, nuts, etc. are all good sources of protein. Any nutritionist I've talked to actually recommends whole foods to supplements, althought this isn't the most convinient option as it takes some meal planning.

Tabris

Reaction score
*cough*Maximuscle*cough*
smile.gif

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Optimum Nutrition Chocolate Mint. It's like drinking freaking thin mints, it's great, and a good bit cheaper than Muscle Milk.

I prefer steak though.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Due to mercury, tuna as a major protein source isn't safe.

In terms of taste, any rice protein should be palatable. But it isn't the best protein for building muscle.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Due to mercury, tuna as a major protein source isn't safe.

It takes a significant amount of tuna to get mercury poisoned.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Tuna shakes.

fatherseanfan

Reaction score
I never thought about mercury poisoning. How much tuna would you have to eat for that to happen? Is 1 can of a tuna per day too much?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads