• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Protein shakes

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It works like protein.

KBW

Reaction score
the guy is obviously clueless but to answer his question take protein within 30 minutes of finishing a workout and before you go to bed (because it is basically an 8 hour fasting while you are asleep and that is when your body needs the protein to repair)...those are definitely the two most important times. Eat a good meal an hour or so before your workout but take protein afterwards and before bed.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
the guy is obviously clueless but to answer his question take protein within 30 minutes of finishing a workout and before you go to bed (because it is basically an 8 hour fasting while you are asleep and that is when your body needs the protein to repair)...those are definitely the two most important times. Eat a good meal an hour or so before your workout but take protein afterwards and before bed.

absolutely correct.

i always recommend something high in complext carb or some fruit or bananas before a heavy workout. eat a chicken breast and few raw brocolli or a protein shake AFTER the workout.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
i always recommend something high in complext carb or some fruit or bananas before a heavy workout. eat a chicken breast and few raw brocolli or a protein shake AFTER the workout.

???

Complex carb ≠ Bananas

And you don't want broccoli right after a workout. Probably not chicken breast either, as it is far from fast-digesting.

I usually eat candies pre and post. Whey mixed with some milk (for some casein content) shortly after.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW

Depends what kind of protein you're taking. After a workout you want to take whey protein because it digests quickly. However, you don't want to take whey before going to bed (again, because it digests quickly). Before bed you want to take a casein protein (such as cottage cheese - or a casein protein supp) because casein is a slow-digesting protein. Whey before bed is useless (even counter-productive).

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Depends what kind of protein you're taking. After a workout you want to take whey protein because it digests quickly. However, you don't want to take whey before going to bed (again, because it digests quickly). Before bed you want to take a casein protein (such as cottage cheese - or a casein protein supp) because casein is a slow-digesting protein. Whey before bed is useless (even counter-productive).

For the average person that's jsut trying to stay lean and strong without significantly changing their body, do distinctions between types of protein and when you take them really matter?

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
taxler: not really, eating right and working out are the main deals here.

Now, the problem is defining "eating right." For example, if you're looking to gain mass, you need to carb up after a workout. Think fruit or other sugars plus whey.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW

I agree with protein after workout and before sleeping but meal one hour before?
If I do that, I will puke out my guts after doing sets of balls to the wall squats and deadlifts.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
For the average person that's jsut trying to stay lean and strong without significantly changing their body, do distinctions between types of protein and when you take them really matter?

Of course. Just because you are just trying to stay lean or whatever, doesn't change the way your body digests various types of protein sources. This is especially true if you are trying to stay both lean and strong at the same time considering those two goals are antithetical to one another (your body needs more calories to stay strong and less calories to stay lean).

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TransparentCranium
Simpler carbs after workout.

yes. and i actually wake up for a shake at 3:30 am and then go back to bed.

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Of course. Just because you are just trying to stay lean or whatever, doesn't change the way your body digests various types of protein sources. This is especially true if you are trying to stay both lean and strong at the same time considering those two goals are antithetical to one another (your body needs more calories to stay strong and less calories to stay lean).

There is an equilibrium point in either senario, and I'm trying to glean how far apart those two points are. Assuming total calories and grams of protein remain the same, how much leaner and stronger might I be by doing nothing other than altering the type and timing of protein intake?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads