• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Protein Shake Storage

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
How long can you store protein shakes? I like preparing a bunch of my snacks on Sunday. Will the shakes last in the fridge for a week or will form some kind of precipitate on the bottom?

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Young Scrappy
How long can you store protein shakes? I like preparing a bunch of my snacks on Sunday. Will the shakes last in the fridge for a week or will form some kind of precipitate on the bottom?

What do you put in the shake?

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
My morning shake is milk MSM, DMAE-H3, Flaxseed Oil, Molasses and Protein. I'm pretty sure I don't need store that. I use the bullet so its quick. The subsequent shakes which are usually 1 or 2 more (I don't eat meat, fish or poulty) are just milk and protein. I'm usually outside for most of the day and into late in the evening on the weekdays so I would like to keep some for the go. I could start mixing it with water instead of milk if that helps.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not too long. Protein is notorious for providing a great atmosphere for bacteria to grow in after it's mixed with liquid. I personally drink my protein shakes right after I make them. Is there any reason why you can't put the powder in the shaker and carry it around, and then just add water and shake right before drinking it?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Not too long. Protein is notorious for providing a great atmosphere for bacteria to grow in after it's mixed with liquid. I personally drink my protein shakes right after I make them. Is there any reason why you can't put the powder in the shaker and carry it around, and then just add water and shake right before drinking it?

Agreed.

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater

Sadly, I never thought about that. I'll try that. If I can't do that, are protein bars a fair alternative?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Young Scrappy
Sadly, I never thought about that. I'll try that. If I can't do that, are protein bars a fair alternative?

Plus it will stick to everything and smell atroucious. Mix and drink or don't bother. My maid hates it when I leave one lying around and I can't say I blame her.

skunkworks

Reaction score
Protein + simple carbs + water left in a bottle is like bacteria soup.

G79

Reaction score
Bars should be just fine, just watch out for the sugar alcohols and taking more then a couple might leave you rather gassy !

Beta

Reaction score
I have to disagree about bars...they are a poor source of nutrition generally and are notorious for violating label claims in independent tests (detour anyone?!) plus they are more expensive, however they do provide better hunger satiation in my opinion.

I dont suggest storing the shake mixed up...adding water later is what most people including myself do when bringing a spare with you.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't store them. Make a new batch every morning. I've been putting my fruits in the freezer to make them last for weeks.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the first time I've read about protein shakes being large magnets for bacteria.

Upon learning that, I must ask this question: typically, after I drink a shake (which for me is just water and protein, shaken and drank), I wash the shaker out with just hot water (very hot water). There is no residue and I do this occasionally with dishes that are only briefly used. Is this unsanitary? Should I always use soap or always put it in the dishwasher?

skunkworks

Reaction score
blank, I haven't had any problems when rinsing out my shaker with hot water and letting it thoroughly air dry. It seems to do the trick just fine as long as there aren't chunks of leftover shake glued to the inside. When your shake is only protein + water, you have much less problems than if there are carbs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads