• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Protein powder without water...

Halifamous

Reaction score
Some guys at my gym have been observed throwing scoops of protein into their mouths and washing it down with water, as opposed to pre-blending.

Will this decrease the effectiveness of absorbtion or not?

vanity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Halifamous
Some guys at my gym have been observed throwing scoops of protein into their mouths and washing it down with water, as opposed to pre-blending.

No. I've seen people do it with things like Ultimate Orange and N.O. I think the issue is the taste of the powder being so bad, they don't want a giant glass of it. They'd rather take it all down in one swig and be finished.

If your protein powder tastes that bad, find another. Most are actually pretty good.

alsback

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Halifamous

never seen or heard of this but the gnc vanilla flavored stuff i have is pretty easy to find a taste for it. I still chug it and hold my nose but it really isn't that bad. And yea I'm sure most people would hcoose not to do that just because of tha taste. I also wouldn't really see the difference between either way its still going into your stomach and either way your body is still recieving it, I don't really think it would make a difference. Then again I am basing that off of absoloutly nothing so lol.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vanity
If your protein powder tastes that bad, find another. Most are actually pretty good.

+1

DShareef

Reaction score
I used to do this with both Creatine and Glutamine. In pure powder form, they didn't mix well in water so a bunch of it ended up in the bottom of the shaker. It was just easier to throw it right in my mouth and wash it down with a protein shake.

vanity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DShareef
I used to do this with both Creatine and Glutamine. In pure powder form, they didn't mix well in water so a bunch of it ended up in the bottom of the shaker. It was just easier to throw it right in my mouth and wash it down with a protein shake.

LOL

I used to mix creatine and glutamine in a dixie cup, top it off with water, then slam it like a shot. No amount of stirring will ever get that stuff to come to a solution!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I used to do it with creatine, which worked fine.

I tried it once with this pure soy protein powder I had and nearly died. The stuff is such fine powder that it stuck to my mouth, I inhaled a bunch of it and I couldn't swallow it all. I ended up hacking it all back out into the sink.

I do not suggest trying this.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
The stuff... stuck to my mouth, I inhaled a bunch of it and I couldn't swallow it all. I ended up hacking it all back out into the sink.

See, soy IS feminizing.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
My immediate reaction to the thread's title was "Why? Dear God in heaven, WHY???" All I could picture is exactly what happened to J. That stuff's brutal unmixed. It's all going to be digested the same whey (pun) so why save time by not mixing?

And +1 with Vanity on taste. If it tastes like crap, you're not using the right kind although you could go half milk/half water to add a bit of texture or mix it with any other liquid you'd like. I like to add a scoop of french vanillla to my morning iced espresso. Tastes great.

I tried a few brands before sticking with Optimum Nutrition. Haven't looked back since.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
See, soy IS feminizing.
lol8[1].gif

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why did I just have a mental image of J as Tony Montana, inhaling a pile of protein powder in front of him?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn. Never would I have thought styleforum is frequented by so many ex creatine users...

Reaction score
Add another one to the list. I scoop creatine into my mouth and have a cup of water nearby. I just chug it down with the water.

tsloop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poormansclothes
Add another one to the list. I scoop creatine into my mouth and have a cup of water nearby. I just chug it down with the water.

I used to do the same thing

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics