• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Protein bars

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a protein bar that is relatively tasty and good at building and maintaining muscle.  Right now I'm eating Worldwide Sport Nutrition Pure Protein bars (peanut butter flavor), but I'm getting kind of sick of it and would like to try something new.

pstoller

Reaction score
I'm partial to Biochem's Ultimate Lo Carb 2 bars in the Chocolate Smores Supreme flavor. 20g protein (from soy and whey), 3g carbs, 6g fat (3g saturated), plus a bunch of vitamins and minerals that you're probably getting from supplements already, anyway. I picked a low carb/moderate fat bar because I figure I get enough carb and fat grams from the rest of my diet. Why stoke up on sugar just to pump iron? I'm trying to get my body to burn stored fat for energy.

As for how good they are at building/maintaining muscle, that has a lot more to do with your workout routine and your overall balance of activity and nutrition than with your choice of protein bar. I can say that these work for me.

IR guy

Reaction score
Guys:

Don't be fooled by the "low-carb" labeling on most protien bars. After reading the ingredients, you will discover the second largest component of any "low-carb" bar is glycerine. Glycerine is made by Dow Chemical, and is a waxy substance used i a variety of household products and some foods. It keeps the bars moist, but is broken down by your body simillar to a carbohydrate, but really is providing empty calories as it is not a macronutrient. The reason the companies don't list glycerine in the carbohydrate count is because the FDA doesn't require them too. This is something that may change in the future, however. I would stick with 100% whey protien powders for supplementation purposes, but if you are in a hurry, the only bar I've found without glycerine or sugar that derives most of it's protien from whey is the Innovation bar, made by a little company called SunValley Labs out of Jersey (I think). 230 cal, 20g protien, 25g carbs, 5g fat. Tastes good too.

gdawg

Reaction score
My two favourite brands are Pure Protein and ProMax. They have 30 and 20 gs of protein each, but I'm not sure about the carb and fat content. They come in many flavours but my favourite is chocolate mint.

Vegas171

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a protein bar that is relatively tasty and good at building and maintaining muscle. Â Right now I'm eating Worldwide Sport Nutrition Pure Protein bars (peanut butter flavor), but I'm getting kind of sick of it and would like to try something new.

Why not making your own protein bar? I got this recipe.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/712058...n_protein_bar/

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've been going the all-natural route with bars lately because I was getting fed up with all the chemicals and ****** ingredients in the standard bars. Most of the brands are not loaded with protein, or taste for that matter, but a few of them aren't too bad. The Cliff Builder Bar's are fairly tasty and average about 300 calories/20g pro/4g fiber/8g fat. They have a fair amount of sugar but aren't too bad. Nice added crunch too.

Opcn

Reaction score
Glycerine is turned in to glucose by your liver in a process called neoglucogenesis an ounce of glycerine will raise your blood sugar more slowly but in the end will contain about 95% of the calories of an ounce of glucose.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too bad about the glycerin, I was really starting to like the Snickers Marathon low carb bar. Oh well, I guess I gotta finish my last half-dozen and then move on
frown.gif
. OTOH, if I have the choice between one of those and a piece of candy, it's still not that bad.

BEEZO

Reaction score
I think some of the protein bars themselves are made from inferior plant (Soy) protein...I make sure my protein bar has good protein sources...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads