• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Protein bars/shakes that taste decent

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
two scoops in 12 oz of milk. Twice a day every day and once immediately following a weight workout.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for being picky but would that be 3times a day then on workout days? 1. Morning 2. After workout. 3. Evening? Or is it always 2?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
Sorry for being picky but would that be 3times a day then on workout days? 1. Morning 2. After workout. 3. Evening? Or is it always 2?

Dude ease up. Your newb anxiety
teacha.gif
aside, using so much supplement + being too fussy about it are wastes of time and money unless you lift like Arnold in his hey day. Just try different things and go w/ what tickles your palates.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, typically 3 times a day on lifting days and 2 on normal days, but not always. It also depends on what I eat during the day and what I did.

MunnyGuy

Reaction score
EAS makes awesome bars. If you are bulking up use the regular bars, if you are cutting they have a light bar that tastes great and is quite filling!

SUPER K

Reaction score
Cliff bars are great, travel well for long bike rides, cheap at Sams or Wall mart

flyjordan

Reaction score
Do not eat clif bars, or any soy protein bar unless you want man boobs. If you are really serious about it, just get the met-Rx bars, or something with little sugar, and lots of whey and stomach the 4 bites it takes to get it down.

As for shakes, Myo-Zene is the way to go I have found. It is only for after workouts, because it has a lot of sugar and carbs, but these help in the synthesis and absorption into your muscles. The fruit punch is the sweetest tasting drink you have ever had the 1st 3 shakes, but after that you will be craving one after all workouts.

Reaction score
EAS body for life bars are good.

Cookies and mint flavor is ridicugood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SUPER K
Cliff bars are great, travel well for long bike rides, cheap at Sams or Wall mart

no protein in those though

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Whey Delicious powder. You can mix it with or sprinkle it on just about anything and it tastes good. It's also a very "clean" source of protein, by which I mean it doesn't contain any fat, sugar, or ingredients I can't pronounce.

http://www.proteinishealthy.com/inde...d=13&Itemid=43

gvibes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
I'm a big fan of Whey Delicious powder. You can mix it with or sprinkle it on just about anything and it tastes good. It's also a very "clean" source of protein, by which I mean it doesn't contain any fat, sugar, or ingredients I can't pronounce.

http://www.proteinishealthy.com/inde...d=13&Itemid=43

Uh, it has 5g of carbs per serving (i.e., 21g of protein) which, AFAIK, makes it a relatively "dirty" protein source, if you want to use that verbage. By comparison, my usual protein (optimum strawberry - the only stuff I've tried that I can mix with water) has only 2g of carbs per 24g of protein.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dymatize's Pina Colada and (especially) Butterscotch are god-awful. The various posts I found in various places extolling their flavour must have been written by people with no taste buds. Or mouths.

Almost finished them, looking forward to getting the Dymatize Cafe Mocha again to replace those horrid things.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Iron Tek Essential Natural 100% Protein with Micellar Casein Chocolate Fudge is good, its like weak chocolate milk, and mixes well with milk or water 4g of carbs for 22g of protein. Tastes fine by itself but is good mixed in stuff too. I prefer the Vanilla Cake kind if I mix though as it makes raspberry yogurt taste like a cobbler.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gvibes
Uh, it has 5g of carbs per serving (i.e., 21g of protein) which, AFAIK, makes it a relatively "dirty" protein source, if you want to use that verbage. By comparison, my usual protein (optimum strawberry - the only stuff I've tried that I can mix with water) has only 2g of carbs per 24g of protein.
Yes, we're using the word "clean" differently here. I usually mix my protein powder with juice anyway, so carbs don't bother me. What concerns me are ingredients like dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate or pyridoxine hydrochloride. That's why I switched from Myoplex to Whey Delicious a couple years ago.

Can you provide a link to the Optimum Strawberry you use? The stuff I found when I googled it looks pretty good, but it has 5 grams of carbs per 24 grams of protein, not 2 per 24. I might like to try the stuff you're recommending if I can find it.

gvibes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Yes, we're using the word "clean" differently here. I usually mix my protein powder with juice anyway, so carbs don't bother me. What concerns me are ingredients like dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate or pyridoxine hydrochloride. That's why I switched from Myoplex to Whey Delicious a couple years ago.

Can you provide a link to the Optimum Strawberry you use? The stuff I found when I googled it looks pretty good, but it has 5 grams of carbs per 24 grams of protein, not 2 per 24. I might like to try the stuff you're recommending if I can find it.

Gotcha - I use the Optimum "gold standard delicious strawberry"

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads