• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Protection...no, not that kind.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An event recently while commuting made me realize that it might not be a bad idea to have some protection on me. I was thinking that a thin mace sprayer of mace would be a good idea. I plan to have an extra pen pocket made on my jackets to store it. Anyone know a good online place to buy it or have experience with it?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You need a permit to carry mace in NYC.

Suicmez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
An event recently while commuting made me realize that it might not be a bad idea to have some protection on me. I was thinking that a thin mace sprayer of mace would be a good idea. I plan to have an extra pen pocket made on my jackets to store it. Anyone know a good online place to buy it or have experience with it?

What was the event? Did you get verbally harassed or something?
Maybe try to not dress so pretentiously for your age.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Suicmez

What was the event? Did you get verbally harassed or something?
Maybe try to not dress so pretentiously for your age.

I'll remember that on the way to work @ PS...

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming, all mixtures and sprays require a permit in nyc? I am also still a Nassau resident, not a NYC one.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Assuming, all mixtures and sprays require a permit in nyc? I am also still a Nassau resident, not a NYC one.

I don't know about pepper spray, but that's pretty much worthless anyway.

The permit is to carry mace in NYC, not for ownership elsewhere. I don't know what Long Island allows, you should check with a local attorney.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems animal maces are legal. I would assume using it on a human attacking you would be illegal? Unless, you are so scared of dogs that you used it on a human because it was the only thing you had?

Egert

Reaction score
Just carry a huge knife if you plan to do so. You can always tell the police that you're on your way to a BBQ @ friends place and his knives couldn't cut through the tougher part of the lamb...

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It seems animal maces are legal. I would assume using it on a human attacking you would be illegal? Unless, you are so scared of dogs that you used it on a human because it was the only thing you had?

I don't see an exception for animal mace under the code. www.nysrpa.org/files/nyc-admincode.pdf
Originally Posted by Egert
Just carry a huge knife if you plan to do so. You can always tell the police that you're on your way to a BBQ @ friends place and his knives couldn't cut through the tougher part of the lamb...
This is a terrible idea, and will result in you going to prison.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
thats why i carry a .38 special.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... and are you prepared to use it?

Avoiding the situation you found yourself in is ALWAYS a better solution that starting something. Move if you feel continuously threatened in your neighborhood.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.