• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Protecting ties

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the most dignified way to protect a tie during a job interview lunch?

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have to confess that I do the tie flip when I am eating lunch by myself in the office. Any other time, you just need to put your tie at risk. Taking overt protective measures is just too cheesy.

DandySF

Reaction score
Better to sacrifice your tie than your dignity. All those protective maneuvers are graceless. Eat carefully or buy ties you can afford to replace when they get nailed with misdirected food.

My secret weapon? An old can of Scotch Guard, which provides an invisible protective shield. Unfortunately it's been taken off the market for environmental reasons.

BjornH

Reaction score
Well - I would probably stay away from spagetti or tagliatelle as I've lost a few ties that way. My favorite is tucking it into my shirt pocket or inside pocket of my jacket.

aybojs

Reaction score
I have to err on the side of practicality here. When I was at work this summer, I just flipped my tie over when I was eating lunch, and it worked fine for me. If necessary I would do it in the presence of company and wouldn't look down on anyone who would do the same. I'd think the guy was some kind of an overbearing ass if he complained about a common sense measure that's really not all that "undignified."

Pink22m

Reaction score
I agree. I doubt that I am going to lose my self dignity by flipping my tie over for a few minutes while I eat my lunch. Give me a break.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
No, one generally is not going to lose any self dignity by taking one of the protective measures. However, this is supposed to be a "job interview lunch". That makes a difference. Sacrifice the tie, or better yet... wear a bow tie.
wink.gif

rayk

Reaction score
To adhere to the situation posed in the question, I Â would have to say that to do anything with one's tie other than wear it as it was intended would be counter productive to the intended purpose of the occasion. Â This is a job interview about which were talking, and you have been asked to this luncheon as an integral component of the interview process, not because of the company's solicitude for the nutrition of its prospective employees. Â How this prospect comports himself during this process could be of the utmost importance to whether he is seen as compatible with the image that the company wants its employees to project . Â This is not to suggest that placing your tie in a pocket or over the shoulder would necessarily sabotage your interview, but it could conceivably sway the interviewer's opinion. I once had a business associate who used to conduct interviews for high-level entry jobs with a major chemical corporation in the northeast. Â A portion of his evaluation of the fitness of a candidate for a position was based on the comportment of the prospect while at a business lunch. Â He routinely took prospective employees to restaurants at which Italian cuisines were offered, but at which other dishes were also available. Â If that candadate chose a difficult and/or messy dish, his suitability was questioned. Â This interviewer reasoned that this event should be understood by the candidate as an opportunity to dazzle his prospective employeer with his wit, social grace, and intelligence...his objective professional credentials having been already affirmed. Â Any candadate who attempted to project a dignified and professional image while dribbling spaghetti sauce from his chin and onto his tie, Â probably didn't possess the business/social acumen that was sought. While I digress, my point is that a seemingly insignificant action or behavior, i.e. placing a tie in a pocket or ordering spaghetti at an interview lunch, can be interpreted negatively by an interviewer and be hazardous to your professional health. Â Wear your tie as it was intended and choose your meal thoughtfully. Â To do otherwise puts you at risk for being seen as undesireble. Â Should you choose to emphasize practicality, you may tomorrow have your tie but no job. Â Bend a bowl of spaghetti, or battle a lobster after the interview...and take the tie off Â
smile.gif

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flipping the tie over the shoulder just brought back memories of high school...lol. I can picture the sea of boys with rep ties thrown over the shoulder of their navy blazers.

I'd suggest tucking the tie into your shirt just below the 4th button. I don't see any possible objection to this. At least none that would sway an interviewer... unless the interviewer is that tough, in which case you have more to worry about.

Order a moderatly priced, neat meal; you should be fine. Good luck bro.

Tom

Reaction score
This morning, I made the ultimate stupid mistake, I killed my tie with a cup of coffee while driving to work (groan).

NavyStyles

Reaction score
I say tuck it in. Though, flipping it isn't such a terrible thing. The job interviewer should understand that you'd like to preserve your tie for a little while longer. Just always remember to taste your food before seasoning it (a professor of mine knows a CEO who will not hire anyone who salts/peppers his food before giving it a try).

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Another option - I button my suit jacket so that the tie doesn't swing into the food and the eat carefully.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be sure to remember this bit. I think I'll probably stick to bread and water for my interview lunch.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the answer is obvious. remember that this is a business lunch. you keep your tie under your buttoned jacket, as mr. harris stated, and you order a neat meal. avoid anything smothered in sauce and be careful with the salad dressing, it has a way of dripping off the fork. keep a napkin on your lap.

the main thing is to look comfortable which can be difficult if you only wear suits during interviews. i suggest you wear your suit a few times beforehand so you won't be too conscious of it.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who uses the napkin as a bib when I want to indulge in bolognese sauce?
sad.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads