• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Protect Ya Neck: Shirt Collars, Knots and Balance

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Yeah, I didn't realize that you'd suggested more tie space before me. The no space, diamond knot, effect is interesting. But geez, Pat Riley's collars and tie knots look great imo. I wonder if anyone, like @Shirtmaven, might know who made his shirts.
Np clue as to who made his shirts.
Tie shapes in the 90s were bottle shipped. Also ties were prints not woven. That is why the knots were so small

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I appreciate the suggestions! Of course keep in mind that the angle tends to make the collar band a bit more noticeable.
You have tied a very tight knot and pushed it high forcing the top of the collar to meet at the bottom to v outwards. This will not look like this in 15 min once you start moving. I am not judging just an observation.. the collar band is very high.

garigo

Reaction score
Is this a recent Cappelli tie? If so, do you have a link or reference #?
Yes I got it last year. It's not on the website but Patrizio sent me a picture of the fabric, if you ask him he might still have some left.

Tie.jpg

Last edited:

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know a good site to buy off the rack - a semi spread with an elongated collar such as this? Thank you View attachment 1889403
Don't have personal experience with this but Anglo-Italian seems pretty close to what you're looking for.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for ways to possibly improve upon this collar. I was thinking slightly taller and slightly less spread.
527399C7-7A6A-4A36-B107-25B2E4F5A373.jpeg

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Looking for ways to possibly improve upon this collar. I was thinking slightly taller and slightly less spread.
View attachment 1901165
I quite like the look of this, but if you’re looking for something with a bit less spread, do check out our classic AH1 collar shirts online!

BlueSteel

Reaction score

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might want to look at our new AH2 spread collar design of which the shirts just dropped and are now online.

I quite like the look of this, but if you’re looking for something with a bit less spread, do check out our classic AH1 collar shirts online!

I am interested to see the two different collars. Maybe I am not seeing it, but both links appear to take me to the same page, with no "AH1" or "AH2" collar designations.

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I am interested to see the two different collars. Maybe I am not seeing it, but both links appear to take me to the same page, with no "AH1" or "AH2" collar designations.
The link takes you to our shirt page. The AH2 collar is found on the ‘spread collar’ shirts (currently two shirts), the other shirts all have AH1 collars.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure you need less spread—looks fine to me. That is personal preference IMO. You could go a little taller but just know that a little goes a long way. Maybe 1/4” or so?
The other thing I noticed is that the collar leaves could be a little stiffer. They look just a little soft for a relatively formal outfit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads