• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ProperSuit.com

bsarosi

Reaction score
http://propersuit.com/

Anyone purchased a suit from this site? I know they're fused according to the website, so I'm sure they're below the Style Forum minimum quality level (!!) but I figured I check the forum.

I noticed the measurements they require are different than MTM. I have no idea what quality the materials are. The suits are constructed mostly with machines, although they can do some customized detailing.

I figured with so many folks looking for MTM an/or fitted suits at lower prices, this may be an option. Anyone tried it?

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bsarosi
http://propersuit.com/

Anyone purchased a suit from this site? I know they're fused according to the website, so I'm sure they're below the Style Forum minimum quality level (!!) but I figured I check the forum.

I noticed the measurements they require are different than MTM. I have no idea what quality the materials are. The suits are constructed mostly with machines, although they can do some customized detailing.

I figured with so many folks looking for MTM an/or fitted suits at lower prices, this may be an option. Anyone tried it?

Haven't tried it but what's the incentive? Other companies are cheaper, have same cloth, don't charge for shipping, offer incentives like free shirts or accessories, and offer tailor credit. Their website says they guarantee their work, but up to how much? They say nobody has ever used a local tailor? I find the hard to believe.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It looks like a terrible rip off www.propershirt.com. Whereas Proper Shirt has shirts made by nice Americans in quality fabric, that site appears to sell cheap suits made by starving Chinese children.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
It looks like a terrible rip off www.propershirt.com. Whereas Proper Shirt has shirts made by nice Americans in quality fabric, that site appears to sell cheap suits made by starving Chinese children.

Not to mention there are only 8 pictures on the website and whats there looks very weak.

David12

Reaction score
I bought a suit from them and was quite happy with it. It's definitely fused, but the fabric and construction is otherwise good. There were some extra details that I think separate them from cheaper MTM alternatives, like sweatguards underneath the armpits and detail work where the lining meets the shell. I've had cheaper MTM suits that were made like crap and fell apart, so like I said I was pretty happy with this one.

As far as I can tell, they're not at all related to proper shirt. They're definitely an american company though. The guys running the company live in San Francisco.

HarleyBob

Reaction score
There are only 3 fabrics to choose from unless you are a member. Why? I appreciate you having locations to be fitted, but you aren't going to get much internet business with your website and requiring membership to view fabrics, etc.

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I smell a big, steaming pile of pungent bullshit emanating from that there website.

Wolfador

Reaction score

There are only 3 fabrics to choose from unless you are a member. Why? I appreciate you having locations to be fitted, but you aren't going to get much internet business with your website and requiring membership to view fabrics, etc.

According to their FAQ:
Why do I have limited fabric selection if I am a non-member buying online?
We like to keep the lowest pricing possible for our existing members. By only selling our unique fabrics to existing members we limit the risk and maintain the lowest price.

I am interested if anyone has tried them? I was thinking about setting up an Appointment next time I go to DC. Interested in their mid-higher end levels

Last edited:

lalaland

Reaction score
I'm interested in propersuit - $650 for full canvas, completely unique pattern (not modifed existing pattern) sounds good to me. But it makes no sense to me that they only sell their "unique" fabrics to existing members to keep prices low. How does reducing your available market keep prices low?

krynsky

Reaction score
I'm also looking at propersuit, they have a showing in Seattle in a couple weeks. Anyone else here that can chime in with their experiences?

I have found few ACTUAL reviews of their suits, although what I have found as been positive. I haven't seen a negative review from someone that has bought a suit, just folks that don't think much of the site as it's lacking a lot of info or the fact that you have to put down a deposit to get fitted. While I agree with that, if I'm going to buy a suit from them I guess it doesn't matter to much if I pay $150 now and $500 a couple weeks later vs paying the $650 later. Either way you have to pay before the suit is delivered to you. I t seems they use paypal for the deposits so I could always open up a claim for a refund if things got sketchy.

I'm mainly concerned with how the suit will look on someone that's not cut like a model and is over 30.

thomaspaine

Reaction score
I picked up this suit from them a couple months ago. I have very broad and sloping shoulders shoulders and it'd been difficult to find something that fit me well OTR. I paid $700 for it, overall I'm pretty happy with it. Fully canvased, functional kissing button cuffs (which are really fun to use), construction seems pretty solid, and the only alterations I made were to have the pants hemmed half an inch (not seen in these pictures). I'd say it'd be hard to find a MTM service that provides such good value for the price, and is consistent in their delivery. I've yet to see a bad suit by them.

Some quibbles that I have:

• I went with the navy wool essential, the cheapest fabric. It's not terrible...but it's a little itchy, and if I were to order again I'd probably go with a nicer fabric. I remember trying on a J Crew Ludlow and the Ludlow's fabric was nicer, and it definitely doesn't compare to my Black Fleece suits.
  • I paid an extra $50 for a lining pattern that I liked, and I was a little disappointed to learn that the lining isn't 100% cotton. I forget exactly what it is, but it's some polyester/rayon blend or something.
  • Button stance could be a little higher, I feel like the gorge is a little low considering the slim lapels.
  • I guess my hips pitch forward a little bit, which causes the pants to bunch up a little strangely behind my thighs when I'm standing or don't have my belt tight enough.
  • Shoulders kind of pucker out a little bit, but this seems to have died down a little with wear.
  • Couldn't do frog pockets on the trousers.
  • The website does suck. Very strange to use. It also annoys me a little how much they overuse the word 'bespoke' when this is clearly not bespoke but MTM.

But again, for $700 I feel like it's pretty good. Most of these things aren't going to be noticed by the average pleb, and I get compliments on this suit all the time.

Last edited:

krynsky

Reaction score
Thank you, that kind of info is exactly what I was hoping for. I also have broad sloping shoulders so I know exactly what you mean on getting OTR to fit right. My first impressions on seeing your picture were

1) the suit looks great actually...followed very closely by
2) The shoulders seem to pucker (although it's much less noticeable on the 2nd photo).

I'm leaning heavily twards using these guys, and I'll probably print out some of the comments I find so they can address them at a fitting ahead of time. I do have two follow up questions for you if you have a sec.

- Would you be able to post a photo of how the suit hangs from the back? I've often seen suits that look fine in the front but when you turn around there's some scrunching going on. And of course you can never see it yourself which is why I typically take someone with me for jackets.

- Do you think that shoulder pucker is something that could be fixed by a tailor? I'm not sure what causes that.

If anyone else has photos to submit that would be great. If I wind up going with these guys I'll be sure to post photos for the group.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought a suit from them and was quite happy with it. It's definitely fused, but the fabric and construction is otherwise good. There were some extra details that I think separate them from cheaper MTM alternatives, like sweatguards underneath the armpits and detail work where the lining meets the shell. I've had cheaper MTM suits that were made like crap and fell apart, so like I said I was pretty happy with this one.

As far as I can tell, they're not at all related to proper shirt. They're definitely an american company though. The guys running the company live in San Francisco.

Another first time poster heaping praise upon a company little known here.

Save your money - crap.

krynsky

Reaction score
Another first time poster heaping praise upon a company little known here.
Save your money - crap.

So you're saying not to go with these guys....because? Also as a senior poster do you have some alternatives you recommend in the $500-$800 price range?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads