• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Proper way to break in new boots?

lukeC

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Im seeking a little advice, I recently bought my first pair of Redwing Heritage 1907 boots. Im really digging them but... I have no idea how to break them in! I went for a walk in them today and OMG the blisters I got on my heel from that walk are awful... the boots feel good everywhere but my heel. I wasn't wearing thick socks at all so I figured the stiffness plus thin socks could have been the culprit. So I am highly considering getting some thicker hiking socks for the break in period but I am a little concerned about one thing. If I break these boots in with thick socks, won't the boot be molded to technically a bigger foot? I just don't want to wear thick socks with these suckers for a few weeks and then go to put them on with regular socks and find they are a little loose. Also what type of sock works best?
thanks.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RedWings and Meermin are the only two shoemakers that I've noped out of after having them on my feet less than five minutes. I'm sure they will break-in eventually but I'd suggest thick socks and band aids until they do.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Red Wings are pretty terrible like that. Some people have tried to soften them up with some kind of conditioner agent (I can't remember the name at the moment, but it's used to break in heavy work boots and protect the leather). From what I've seen over the years though, there's nothing really like just wearing thick socks and going through the process.

Thick socks won't stretch them out. They're casual shoes so they're supposed to be worn with thick boot socks anyway. I usually just wear them first around the neighborhood, so I'm not having to get through a whole day with them. With enough wear, they break in eventually and become pretty comfortable.

b1lf

Reaction score
Just wear them....... how do you think your grandpa broke his boots in?

It helps to buy decent socks in general, to improve daily comfort whether it’s Day 1 with your boot or Day 476 (Darn Tough Micro Crew Light Cushion, for example).

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 58 17.8%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 110 33.7%
  • 8”

Votes: 96 29.4%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 11.0%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%