• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper way to apply cologne?

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
Never really learned how.... only scent dad wore was saw dust and dirt
blush.gif
so how do you guys apply properly and where? ((sorry!)) just did a search and found my answer!!!

gyea

Reaction score
just did a search too. whoops didn't know i suppose to apply it to neck/wrist area! i always put it on my shirt.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You dab it behind the ears if you want or the neck.

As well, you can apply to the face, but that may be too overpowering.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chest wrists neck ears.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Apply it to the pulse points (wrist, middle part of legs, selectively to the neck) or spray it into the air and walk under it (old department store trick).

Never apply it directly to your clothes. The oils can damege the fibers over time.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just do chest neck and ears
and yea no clothing either..straight body shots baby

royal618

Reaction score
If you're misting yourself, put it on before you put your shirt on.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yep, I agree with most of what has been said here. In addition to the fact that spraying it on clothes can stain, it also doesn't do the scent justice. Scents change and adapt when they are on the skin; one's own body chemistry changes the scent in interesting ways. This is one reason why it is recommended to spray on "pulse points" at the neck, wrists, at the bend in the arms, or even behind the ears. These are the points that are most active on the skin and get the scent "working."

This isn't as true with some very loud, overpowering scents, but if you spray on a scent that is more subtle or with a good deal of musk, you'll really see it come alive on the skin after a while.

I wouldn't recommend applying to the face; not only is it close to the eyes and nose (which could quickly lead to "olfactory fatigue"), but also they're not really designed for the sensitive facial skin.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right out of the shower, I spray a cloud of about two pumps into the air - and then I walk under the cloud...

victory

Reaction score
i also like to spray a cloud and walk through it. i find spraying it directly on myself makes the scent too strong.

Impulse155

Reaction score
pretty much all i do when i wear cologne is uncover the obttle, put ur finger on it, and then turn the bottle over so u get a bit put that on one side, do it again put it on other (side meaning neck) and then wrists if u want. Thats all i really do otherwise it gets overpowering depending on the type of cologne.

sologigolos

Reaction score
bump
i've read that you're not supposed to "crush" the scent
how do apply to behind the ears without doing so?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
with shirt off, spray mist in the air and walk in to it. dabbing behind your ears or on your wrists is for chicks.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do a spray on each wrist and then wipe immediately behind my ear down across the side of my neck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads