• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper way to apply cologne?

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sologigolos
this was what i used to do until my gf pointed out today that this crushes the scent and is not adviseable

What exactly is "crushed" when applying cologne in this way? I can't see a quick swipe with my wrist altering the scent in any significant way.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
What exactly is "crushed" when applying cologne in this way? I can't see a quick swipe with my wrist altering the scent in any significant way.

Crushed refers to the delicate oil molecules being crushed by the friction between two rubbing surfaces. It's like motor oil when it gets viscosity breakdown. The scent turns sour and - in some notable cases - you smell of moldy cheese, or old urinal.

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
There is this one guy at my work who puts on so much cologne it is close to on par of being a violation.
He walks by and the whole office reeks of him and it is to the point where you can know which direction he went, what rooms he's been in.

It is not even a matter of cologne scent anymore moreso a conditioned response to his wretched scent I hold my breath for 30 seconds or so.

So inconsiderate and very vile and can destroy you appetite when trying to have lunch.

There's an old woman at my work-place that also does this. As for me, just one light spray on the chest and wipe behind my ears.

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
I knew, Dennis, you'd have taste in fragrances that matched your great taste in clothes... BelAmi is a true classic. I LOVE it. Amongst 80's powerhouses, it's in my triumverate along with Creed Baie de Genievre and, of course, Antaeus!
rach2jlc- Thank you. Coming from such an accomplished scent aficionado such as you I am quite flattered.

So let me ask you...Given that it's been sitting all these years in the medicine cabinet in its well-sealed, amber glass bottle, do you think it's possible for the Bal Ami to have gotten more potent? I do remember that it's always been a strong scent, but I swear it seems to be even more intense now...More on the order of a perfume than a cologne.

Dennis

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Osprey Guy
So let me ask you...Given that it's been sitting all these years in the medicine cabinet in its well-sealed, amber glass bottle, do you think it's possible for the Bal Ami to have gotten more potent? I do remember that it's always been a strong scent, but I swear it seems to be even more intense now...More on the order of a perfume than a cologne. Dennis
Thanks, Dennis. In my experience, I've never heard of them becoming MORE potent (given that there is a set concentration of oils from the beginning), but to me it seems that there might be two possible explanations: 1) Best case scenario would be simply that you've been away from it for a while and your nose is approaching it again "anew." Olfactory fatigue definitely happens with most fragrances, but I think this is especially true of BelAmi, which itself is so strong. Most of those around you these days wear mild, "clean" marine scents (ala Issey Miyake) or softer, sweeter scents (Creed GIT) and so our noses become accustomed to it. Pull out the lemon, cedar, sandalwood powerhouse that is BelAmi and your nose takes notice!!
wink.gif
2) Worst case scenario would be that perhaps some of the top-notes have dissolved over time. Probably this is NOT the case, given that yours was stored properly, but IIRC Belami has a lemon top note, so if you lose that (and usually top notes are the first to go), then it is possible it seems more "potent" because you've lost the citrus and now you are just getting the heavier, spicier, sharper mid and basenotes (yling ylang, cedar, sandalwood, vetiver, etc.). Finally... you'll think I'm crazy for asking... but do you have a wine cooler? For some of your favorite, older scents, a wine cooler is the BEST place to store them. I have some scents that are 30+ years old and fresh as the day they came out... because they've always been properly stored (and I keep them now in a wine cooler).

Mauby

Reaction score
I've lost a lot of weight over the past 6 months (almost 40 pounds...intentionally)

Awesome.

So far every bottle of cologne that I've checked seems to have held up just fine, and today I reached for one of my all-time favorites...Bel Ami by Hermes. It's pretty powerful stuff, and perhaps it's just my imagination but it seems to have gotten even more potent over time. It's one of those non-aerosol bottles and just a few dabs was all that was needed. After all these years it's still a terrific scent!

Dennis

Originally Posted by rach2jlc
^I knew, Dennis, you'd have taste in fragrances that matched your great taste in clothes... BelAmi is a true classic. I LOVE it. Amongst 80's powerhouses, it's in my triumverate along with Creed Baie de Genievre and, of course, Antaeus!

I wasn't that cultured in the 80s. For me it was 7-8 sprays of Drakkar all over my U-Men shirt or ginormous Gennera sweater.

To the OP: I think the best way to apply cologne is to avoid putting on your clothes, and as others have stated, putting on your pulse points. I tend to do chest & wrists or forearms daytime. Chest, wrists/forearms, and behind the ears nightime if I'll be at a club/bar or a situation where I'll be leaning in closer to talk due to noise.

totally epic

Reaction score
Depends.

For lighter scents like CdG Odeur 53 or Series 4 Citrico, I literally drench my pulse points with the stuff.

For louder scents like Costume National Scent Intense, 1 spray to the chest & 1 spray to the neck.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
I've heard of people spraying in on their comb and then combing it through their hair. True.

Patrician

Reaction score
I spray a bit on my wrists and then wipe it off on my neck (side). Dont know if thats the proper way to do, maybe I should try putting some behind my ears.

metroman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KennyGhetzoff
Never really learned how....

only scent dad wore was saw dust and dirt
blush.gif

so how do you guys apply properly and where?

((sorry!)) just did a search and found my answer!!!

A simple way to remember is:

Not on any area that she may want to kiss in public.
Safe area would be on the back of the neck. Make sure you do not mix the smell of aftershave and the cologne together. Cologne should be applied to the skin atleast 1 hour after you have applied aftershave or just rinse your face in cold water then apply the cologne.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some guy told me he sprayed it in his hair..

I usually just spray on my wrists or chest

metroman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrician
I spray a bit on my wrists and then wipe it off on my neck (side). Dont know if thats the proper way to do, maybe I should try putting some behind my ears.

strictly behind the ears is what women do and this only shows that you the man grew up around women and she would not think you are not that manly.

Applying to the wrists is fine and back of neck if you know there will be any kissing involved.

She would be turned off if she kisses your neck and tastes nothing but cologne.

The historical idea of applying cologne is to do it very lightly and in the areas that produce heat so you get the MAX
effect out of the cologne. The time to apply is important which is why many men shave while in the shower so they can wash off the effects of the aftershave ......

So after shaving in the shower then make the water pretty cool to tighten your skin then apply the after shave
then durring this process of letting the after shave calming your skin you can continue washing other parts of your body then 3 minutes later wash off the after shave then dry off apply deoderant then cologne next. Then when dry put on the bathrobe and exit the bathroom which lets your skin further dry off.

I forgo the bathrobe part and just lay down on my bed and let the rest of the moisture take the rest of the wetness away so I can dress as fast as possible without breaking a sweat put on dress slack then apply cologne to the chest area. If already dressed then just to the back of your neck.

DO NOT BATHE IN THE COLOGNE! if it has a pump then 1 pump or 2 is max! if not pump then less than half a thimble is all you need.

You send the wrong signal to everyone if you wear cologne and no deoderant.

beansprouts1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i think cologne appliance really depends on the situation and strength of cologne. a stronger cologne i typically spray once on the neck or wrist, then lightly touch my wrists together. i have noticed rubbing the wrist causing the smell to go off key. maybe spray a second time and walk my neck into it. lighter cologne, i spray 2-3 times. neck, chest, maybe under armpits. the smell also dissipates faster in winter as opposed to summer, so you might want to watch out for that.

situation also matters. if i'm going to class or library, i usually go for once under each armpit. its not meant to last the whole day, and i dont want to worry about overdoing it, especially if im sitting next to some dudes. on the other hand, its enough so anyone can catch just a brief whiff of it.

for clubbing or bar hopping, i usually get some behind the ears and neck, since girls often whisper in your ear and or get close to your neck. that way, they'll be able to smell your cologne and the smell lasts longer at pulse points. btw, there is also a major pulse point in front of your ear (im a med student) so if its easier to spray there, that could work for you as well and also right behind your clavicles.

does anyone notice lighter colognes tend to smell pretty much the same over the course of the day? whenever i use something like the dolce and gabanna or chanel, the smell would stay until next morning and it would be different. however, my new bottle of burberry brit smells identical throughout.

raginberriodoom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by metroman
strictly behind the ears is what women do and this only shows that you the man grew up around women and she would not think you are not that manly.

Applying to the wrists is fine and back of neck if you know there will be any kissing involved.

She would be turned off if she kisses your neck and tastes nothing but cologne.

The historical idea of applying cologne is to do it very lightly and in the areas that produce heat so you get the MAX
effect out of the cologne. The time to apply is important which is why many men shave while in the shower so they can wash off the effects of the aftershave ......

So after shaving in the shower then make the water pretty cool to tighten your skin then apply the after shave
then durring this process of letting the after shave calming your skin you can continue washing other parts of your body then 3 minutes later wash off the after shave then dry off apply deoderant then cologne next. Then when dry put on the bathrobe and exit the bathroom which lets your skin further dry off.

I forgo the bathrobe part and just lay down on my bed and let the rest of the moisture take the rest of the wetness away so I can dress as fast as possible without breaking a sweat put on dress slack then apply cologne to the chest area. If already dressed then just to the back of your neck.

DO NOT BATHE IN THE COLOGNE! if it has a pump then 1 pump or 2 is max! if not pump then less than half a thimble is all you need.

You send the wrong signal to everyone if you wear cologne and no deoderant.

just curious, what's the wrong signal that you send if you wear cologne but no deoderant?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Metroman was banned because he was mildly psychotic. As such, he is neither able to help you anymore and, even when he was here, not somebody you'd probably want to discuss this stiff with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads