• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper type of shoe trees?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello

For Chelsea's, Chukkas or Desert boots, must I use a boot tree or can I use a "regular" shoe tree?

Sorry but o can't do a full research as I'm on my phone.

Cheers

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Hello

For Chelsea's, Chukkas or Desert boots, must I use a boot tree or can I use a "regular" shoe tree?

Sorry but o can't do a full research as I'm on my phone.

Cheers

I use a regular pair of shoe trees for my chukkas. No worries.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of the "boot" trees out there are actually for cowboy boots and the toe shape and contours are off for most traditional dress shoes. I would go with something designed for shoes (I use the epic from cevarville), unless you (a) have cowboy boots or (b) have found boot trees that match up with the last of your shoe.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I do not
have cowboy boots btw. I'll pick up a pair of "regular" trees then.

Cheers

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slightly related note - how long do shoe trees last? I have some Johnston & Murphy shoe trees I've been using for three years and they've lost that pine smell. They don't smell bad, just not aromatic.
smile.gif

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
Slightly related note - how long do shoe trees last? I have some Johnston & Murphy shoe trees I've been using for three years and they've lost that pine smell. They don't smell bad, just not aromatic.
smile.gif

I assume you mean "cedar" smell? They last until you break them, but if you want them to smell nice, you can replace them (or sand them, apparently, as the poster below suggests). Unless they are stinky, not much is lost along with the cedar smell.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can often rejuvenate the smell of the cedar in shoe trees by giving them a very light sanding. I do this once a year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads