• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper style for Deli store

Blumenthal

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

This is my first post on SF, although I have followed this remarkable forum to and fro for some years. I hope you have patience with my beginner’s mistakes - and if the spirit is willing might help me turn noobness into nobleness.

To my question:
I am currently abandoning a 25 year long media career in order to fulfill a dream together with my fiancée (henceforth named The Blonde): we will start up a deli store in the outskirts of Stockholm, Sweden.

Our design might (roughly) be described as 20s New York. Food and drinks will be 50-70% traditional, the rest vegan/vegetarian.

To the most important issue:
What kind of clothes should we pick? I find it virtually impossible to abandon my Italian suits, ties, shirts and my British shoes. However. I worry that the hard deliwork might wear them out quickly - especially the suits. Also, ties could turn out simply to warm and choky for manual labour? Of course we will both wear white aprons on top of our outfits.
I would be most grateful from any tips or suggestions from styleforum members.

Best!

/B

paxonus

Reaction score
Since your design is 20s New York, here is how employees dressed in a real deli in New York in the 20s.

Katz'sDeli01%20(2).jpg

Blumenthal

Reaction score
Thanks, quite cool style. I like the lenght of the aprons. Also, I realize a jacket is almost impossible to wear.

misturabrooklyn

Reaction score
"I find it virtually impossible to abandon my Italian suits, ties, shirts and my British shoes. However. I worry that the hard deliwork might wear them out quickly - especially the suits. Also, ties could turn out simply to warm and choky for manual labour?"

Suits don't matter what we wear! You wear in which you feel comfortable.
Italian suits, ties, shirts, and my British shoes - is the most common outfit in a restaurant, you wear with apron

Blumenthal

Reaction score
"I find it virtually impossible to abandon my Italian suits, ties, shirts and my British shoes. However. I worry that the hard deliwork might wear them out quickly - especially the suits. Also, ties could turn out simply to warm and choky for manual labour?"

Suits don't matter what we wear! You wear in which you feel comfortable.
Italian suits, ties, shirts, and my British shoes - is the most common outfit in a restaurant, you wear with apron

DRChauvin

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

This is my first post on SF, although I have followed this remarkable forum to and fro for some years. I hope you have patience with my beginner’s mistakes - and if the spirit is willing might help me turn noobness into nobleness.

To my question:
I am currently abandoning a 25 year long media career in order to fulfill a dream together with my fiancée (henceforth named The Blonde): we will start up a deli store in the outskirts of Stockholm, Sweden.

Our design might (roughly) be described as 20s New York. Food and drinks will be 50-70% traditional, the rest vegan/vegetarian.

To the most important issue:
What kind of clothes should we pick? I find it virtually impossible to abandon my Italian suits, ties, shirts and my British shoes. However. I worry that the hard deliwork might wear them out quickly - especially the suits. Also, ties could turn out simply to warm and choky for manual labour? Of course we will both wear white aprons on top of our outfits.
I would be most grateful from any tips or suggestions from styleforum members.

Best!

/B
You might think about Bow Ties for your staff. They look smart, can be pre-tied (with hidden hook and loop) and adjusted for comfort. And while working, they will not be in the way as a regular tie might when leaning forward. Artists prefer them for this reason. Finally, they have a timeless appeal.

Blumenthal

Reaction score
You might think about Bow Ties for your staff. They look smart, can be pre-tied (with hidden hook and loop) and adjusted for comfort. And while working, they will not be in the way as a regular tie might when leaning forward. Artists prefer them for this reason. Finally, they have a timeless appeal.

Thanks Dr,
I do like bowties, however I believe they might send a stronger statement in Europe, esp Scandinavia. Here nobody wears a bowtie. And I mean nobody, collegeprofessors and newspaperpeople included.
Our motto for the store is (roughly translated) ”Delicatessen for the People”. We aim at reasonable prices and a low-key, friendly ambiance.
Bowties might risk putting us in an upperclass-nerdy corner, I’m afraid.
Best,

DRChauvin

Reaction score
Thanks Dr,
I do like bowties, however I believe they might send a stronger statement in Europe, esp Scandinavia. Here nobody wears a bowtie. And I mean nobody, collegeprofessors and newspaperpeople included.
Our motto for the store is (roughly translated) ”Delicatessen for the People”. We aim at reasonable prices and a low-key, friendly ambiance.
Bowties might risk putting us in an upperclass-nerdy corner, I’m afraid.
Best,
Understood. Different message there.

Blumenthal

Reaction score
Yes me too.
As for suits: i consider purchasing 2-3 suits in a sturdier material: dark grej, light grey and baby.
Still havent decided brand yet and open for any recommendations (except Boss).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads