1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Proper Shoe Tree Fit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Westbound, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Westbound

Westbound Senior member

What exactly about shoe trees in shoes prevents creasing? Is it the snugness in length? Or is it the all-around fit?

A few of my shoes have a bit of space between the shoe tree and the top of the inside of my shoe - enough so where I'm able to actually push down a very tiny bit up until the top of the shoe touches the top of the tree. So I was wondering if the lack of space between those two parts is what helps prevent creasing? Or is snugness in length the main element when looking for a "perfect" fit? Both, perhaps? I'm assuming the trees should be both snug and completely fill out the toe box area, but I'm not entirely sure.

Any thoughts?

2. Westbound

Westbound Senior member

3. onix

onix Senior member

As tight as possible as long as you can get the trees in and out effortlessly. I care more about the thickness, not the length or width of the trees. * * These sounds so dirty [​IMG]

4. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

I would be happy with the fit as long as it fills the vamp/ instep and the creases are flattened out without stretching any other areas too much.

5. Westbound

Westbound Senior member

As tight as possible as long as you can get the trees in and out effortlessly. I care more about the thickness, not the length or width of the trees. *

* These sounds so dirty [​IMG]

I've been trying to find a pair of trees with a decent fit depth-wise, but haven't had much luck and so was hoping the thickness ([​IMG]) played a not-so-significant roll. I still wonder what's more important, tho': The snugness in length, or the filling of the toe box,vamp and instep area.

I would be happy with the fit as long as it fills the vamp/ instep and the creases are flattened out without stretching any other areas too much.

Yea', me, too. It's just hard finding a pair that does that.

6. onix

onix Senior member

7. entrero

entrero Senior member

You worry too much, just get one for your shoe size and forget about the little details.

Or buy Vass which comes with lasted shoe trees[​IMG]

8. Westbound

Westbound Senior member

My shoe size is 8D - 81/2D, and Woodlore epic shoe trees size Medium work perfect.

http://woodlore.com/products_shoe_tr...shoe_tree.html

Bought and returned a pair of Epics due to the same reasons I mentioned above. To be fair, they ran a bit small, but I'm not so sure sizing up would make a difference. I'll give 'em one more try, tho'. Thanks!

9. Westbound

Westbound Senior member

You worry too much, just get one for your shoe size and forget about the little details.
    It's not worry, dude - I'm just 1.) curious and 2.) attempting to prevent major creases from forming, which is kinda the point of buying shoes trees, no?
    Planning on it. [​IMG]

10. onix

onix Senior member

Bought and returned a pair of Epics due to the same reasons I mentioned above. To be fair, they ran a bit small, but I'm not so sure sizing up would make a difference. I'll give 'em one more try, tho'. Thanks!

If my size is 9D or something like that none of the epics would work: The medium works best for 8-8.5, the large works best for 10-10.5.... or something like that.

11. Westbound

Westbound Senior member

I think you're right. I'll try the large and hopefully can get a decent fit out of it.

12. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

The Epic Mediums work perfectly for a 9D.

13. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Tree length definitely factors in and before I owned lasted trees I thought the tree should fill out the entire shoe, particularly in the vamp area. But I have noticed with my EG trees the tree doesn't actually touch in vamp, it sort of pushes down on the toe effectively smoothing out vamp creasing if that makes sense.

14. Bartolo

Bartolo Senior member

I wish that more companies sold last-specific shoe trees. I guess AE, Alden, etc., have determined it's not a viable market? Maybe Woodlore should try to "partner" with such companies??

*edit* I just emailed that question to Cedarville.

15. pajames

pajames Well-Known Member

You might try Bexley as they are size specific. I use them for the shoes that didn't come with trees with no problem.

16. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Vass trees don't fit the shoes very snuggly actually. A better example of perfectly fitting lasted shoe tree for RTW shoes would be St Crispins IMO.

17. furo

furo Senior member

Vass trees don't fit the shoes very snuggly actually. A better example of perfectly fitting lasted shoe tree for RTW shoes would be St Crispins IMO.

I noticed that as well

What I also notice is that with shell cordovan, preventing creases (ripples is a better description for shell) with trees is pretty much impossible.

The stiffness of the leather and the nature of shell just doesn't seem to get along with trees.

Overall I think the snugness in length is more important than filling the vamp and toe box, because the pressure exerted on either end will cause tension in the areas where creases form (this is much more pertinent in calf shoes than shell, for the reasons stated above).

18. Westbound

Westbound Senior member

Thanks for all of your replies.

Tree length definitely factors in and before I owned lasted trees I thought the tree should fill out the entire shoe, particularly in the vamp area. But I have noticed with my EG trees the tree doesn't actually touch in vamp, it sort of pushes down on the toe effectively smoothing out vamp creasing if that makes sense.

Yea', that does make sense. And I hope that that's good enough, because that's the way most of my trees fit. Maybe not "effectively" in some shoes, but a similar fit nonetheless.

Maybe Woodlore should try to "partner" with such companies??

That would be nice. I'd pay for (assuming the prices wouldn't be stratospheric) for a lasted tree for some of my shoes - as, I'm assuming, many others would, as well.

You might try Bexley as they are size specific. I use them for the shoes that didn't come with trees with no problem.

Not sure what you mean by "size specific", but I checked their site yesterday (even read a few reviews about them on here) and without ordering a ton of trees from them (which I really don't need - would be nice to get a group-buy going, tho'), I'd get slaughtered on the shipping charges. They look identical to the Epics, but assume that what you mention about them being "size specific" is what differentiates them from Woodlore.

What I also notice is that with shell cordovan, preventing creases (ripples is a better description for shell) with trees is pretty much impossible.

The stiffness of the leather and the nature of shell just doesn't seem to get along with trees..

That's actually why I asked the question. Is that the case with all things shell?

And if I could thread-crap my own thread for a minute: Would it be wise to steer clear of shell if I want a clean-looking dress shoe with no ripples/creasing? Is calf the best way to go when thinking dress shoes (for somewhat formal occasions) or does the rippling on shell heavily depend on many different variables (i.e.: different lasts, fit, care, shoe trees, amount of wear, etc)?

19. Bartolo

Bartolo Senior member

And if I could thread-crap my own thread for a minute: Would it be wise to steer clear of shell if I want a clean-looking dress shoe with no ripples/creasing? Is calf the best way to go when thinking dress shoes (for somewhat formal occasions) or does the rippling on shell heavily depend on many different variables (i.e.: different lasts, fit, care, shoe trees, amount of wear, etc)?

I'll add to your thread crap and note that I've been having the same question. I think that the creasing yes is a hallmark of shell, and can only conclude that we need both calf AND shell versions of certain iconic shoe styles! I'm sure that many here will agree.

20. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

interesting