• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper length for suit jacket

bigskydream

Reaction score
I know the old rule of thumb is long enough to cover one's ass, but what do you think about the length of this jacket? It's a 38R, and I'm 5'11". I'm thinking about trying a 38S. Would that be too short?
(neven mind length of pants and sleeves -- hasn't been to tailor yet)

DSC_9681-1.jpg

DSC_9684-2.jpg

mimile

Reaction score
The sleeves and the pants are too long.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it does look fine as is, but it's all personal preference. I think you could definitely do a short and look good it it. It would probably be a little more modern, and make you look a little taller.

bombers

Reaction score
Sleeves is like 1 inch too long and pants could be hem 1 break less but that's just my opinion.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it really depends upon where you live and if you want to be classic or more fashionable. For most people it would be just fine, as is. But if you want to hang with the fashionista in the "big city" then a shorter jacket will make more of a fashion and younger statement.

The other option would be to try a different maker who cuts your size maybe an inch shorter in regular.

But, if you do decide to go shorter, be sure the scale of everything else (sleeves, pant legs) is a bit trimmer so it doesn't make you look short and stocky.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a proponent of shorter jackets, but I think this one fits you perfectly.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigskydream
(neven mind length of pants and sleeves -- hasn't been to tailor yet)

Originally Posted by mimile
The sleeves and the pants are too long.

Originally Posted by bombers
Sleeves is like 1 inch too long and pants could be hem 1 break less but that's just my opinion.

Ah yes, the geniuses of SF.

bigskydream

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your feedback on this. I think I'll stick with the "R" length.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Length is fine but buttoning point seems high. Just looks like a lot of shirt showing between the quarters and above the belt.

HEARTLESS-531

Reaction score
Dunno. Your length looks good. I live in Italy and I notice all the guys wear R or S coats (meaning the American equivalent of) and they ALWAYS look great. I tried on my Brooks Brothers LP 42L sport coat and damn near threw it out. Way too long. I get the ass rule, but Italians don't. They seem to wear their sport coats mid-cheek so to speak (pardon the pun). Too long is bad.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Ah yes, the geniuses of SF.

Was thinking this very thing...

As to the OP, I like a slightly shorter jacket than most, but wouldn't advise going any shorter on that one.

EZ

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads